[SOLVED] computer starts and shuts down in a second

Jan 28, 2021
The computer was working find until I tried to install a graphics card in the empty slot. As soon as I plugged the power cord in, it automatically started and shut down in a quick second or two. I have taken the card out but the computer still starts and immediately shuts down. My hardware consists of:
AMD A10 quad core
Asus AM78M-E motherboard
Integrated GPU
Thermaltake 500W PSU

I tried replacing the motherboard with connection to the processor only and it started and immediately shut down. I am suspecting the video card I tried to install (RadeonHD7670) damaged the motherboard somehow.

Last edited:
Solution
I guess it's possible the mobo is somehow damaged, but unless you jammed it in, I couldn't see that happening. It's also possible it's the PSU. When putting the card in, the extra power draw may have tipped the PSU over if it wasn't working correctly. How old is the PSU. What's the exact model?
Jan 28, 2021
CPU: AMD A10 quad core
Mobo: Asus AM78M-E motherboard
Integrated GPU
Thermaltake 500W PSU
I tried to install Radeon HD7670 4GB video card and then my problems started with the shutdown after starts,

I guess it's possible the mobo is somehow damaged, but unless you jammed it in, I couldn't see that happening. It's also possible it's the PSU. When putting the card in, the extra power draw may have tipped the PSU over if it wasn't working correctly. How old is the PSU. What's the exact model?

Solution
Jan 28, 2021
The PSU is Thermaltake TR2 500W. It should be good since I only used the pc once or twice a week since I built it 5 years ago.
The PSU is not the problem since I connected a spare PSU and only the CPU, motherboard connected and it did the same thing with the spare PSU.

Jan 27, 2021
The computer was working find until I tried to install a graphics card in the empty slot. As soon as I plugged the power cord in, it automatically started and shut down in a quick second or two. I have taken the card out but the computer still starts and immediately shuts down. My hardware consists of:
AMD A10 quad core
Asus AM78M-E motherboard
Integrated GPU
Thermaltake 500W PSU

I tried replacing the motherboard with connection to the processor only and it started and immediately shut down. I am suspecting the video card I tried to install (RadeonHD7670) damaged the motherboard somehow.

Having a similar issue. My PC was fine then one day shut off. Now it turns on for a second and immediately shuts off. Are you sure it’s the GPU? Have you tried unplugging everything and booting one thing at a time?

Doing this I discovered it’s my CPU power that’s the issue. I can plug in everything with the exception of the CPU power, and the computer remains on. But if I try to plug in the cpu power cable (alone or with the other components) it shuts off.

Although if you just installed a card, it may be a short? Is anything exposed or touching? Did you maybe press the board to hard against the back of the case and it’s touching there now?

Jan 28, 2021
The PSU is Thermaltake TR2 500W. It should be good since I only used the pc once or twice a week since I built it 5 years ago.
The PSU is not the problem since I connected a spare PSU and only the CPU, motherboard connected and it did the same thing with the spare PSU.

Having a similar issue. My PC was fine then one day shut off. Now it turns on for a second and immediately shuts off. Are you sure it’s the GPU? Have you tried unplugging everything and booting one thing at a time?

Doing this I discovered it’s my CPU power that’s the issue. I can plug in everything with the exception of the CPU power, and the computer remains on. But if I try to plug in the cpu power cable (alone or with the other components) it shuts off.

Although if you just installed a card, it may be a short? Is anything exposed or touching? Did you maybe press the board to hard against the back of the case and it’s touching there now?

No, I uninstalled the card and it is still doing the same thing, starting and then shutting down almost immediately. If there is a short it is probably in the GPU slot. That is the only thing that got affected by the attempt to install the card.

Jan 27, 2021
No, I uninstalled the card and it is still doing the same thing, starting and then shutting down almost immediately. If there is a short it is probably in the GPU slot. That is the only thing that got affected by the attempt to install the card.

What I mean is have you tried unplugging everything and booting the system with 1 component at a time? I.e. disconnect GPU, CPU, HDD/SDD, And RAM. Then plug in JUST the CPU, Boot the system. Does it stay on?

Unplug CPU, plug in JUST GPU, boot system. Does it stay on?

Unplug GPU, plug in JUST a stick of ram. Does it boot?

Unplug RAM, plug in JUST the HDD/SSD. Does it boot?

If the system boots for everything, then try adding 1 component at a time. I.e. plug in CPU, and RAM. Does it boot? Plug in CPU, RAM, and HDD/SSD. Does it boot? Plug in CPU, RAM, HDD/SSD, and GPU does it boot?

Jan 28, 2021
Do you mean just the CPU without powering the motherboard itself?
I unplugged everything except the CPU and heatsink fan, the computer doesn't come on with only the CPU plugged in. It doesn't come on when I turned the PSU switch on which would typically turn it if the motherboard was plugged in.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2021
Do you mean just the CPU without powering the motherboard itself?
I unplugged everything except the CPU and heatsink fan, the computer doesn't come on with only the CPU plugged in. It doesn't come on when I turned the PSU switch on which would typically turn it if the motherboard was plugged in.

Yea, so it sound like the problem isn’t your GPU. It’s your CPU or the Mobo. I have the same problem. Everything works except the CPU. If I plug in the CPU 12v cable, the computer won’t turn on.
If you have another motherboard, try putting the new GPU and CPU on there and see if it works. It did for me.

Jan 28, 2021
Problem solved, it was the motherboard. I replaced it with a compatible ASUS A88XM-E and it worked beautifully except I am having to deal with Windows product key which I didn't have saved. Thanks ALL who helped. Great place to get plugged in.

Reactions: Roland Of Gilead