Computer starts but no sound and no display.

Status
Not open for further replies.

JRN121

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
I recently got a new motherboard and processor, everything else I am transfering over from a computer that worked fine. All the LEDs power on, all the fans spin, but there is no post and it doesn't seem to boot anything. I tried removing the ram and it gave me long continuous beeps. When I took the graphics card out it did the same thing it had been doing with no beeps.

System specs:

Mobo: ASRock Z68 Extreme3 Gen3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz (3.7GHz Turbo Boost) LGA 1155 95W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics 3000 BX80623I52500K
RAM: G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-4GBRL
Graphics Card: HIS H687F1G2M Radeon HD 6870 1GB 256-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.1 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card with Eyefinity
PSU: Antec TruePower New TP-750 750W Continuous Power ATX12V V2.3 / EPS12V V2.91 SLI Certified CrossFire Ready 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified Active PFC "compatible with Core i7/Core i5" Power Supply
HD: Western Digital Caviar Black WD1001FALS 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5" Internal Hard Drive -Bare Drive

Thanks for any help, I'll also provide more details if needed.

Solution
Get the graphics card out and connect the monitor to the motherboard instead (not to the graphics card). It should work. Also, you'll have to reinstall windows if you get to BIOS anyway - because new processor and motherboard requires it. Also, you were connecting the monitor right to the graphics card, and not the motherboard right? The motherboard connector disables itself when it detects a graphics card connected inside the PC.
Have you checked all of the power connections to make sure that they are seated properly?
Have you checked to make sure that the power connections are all connected in the right places and with the correct cable , like the cpu power connection being connected with the Atx power cable and not the Pci-e power cable?
There are four things that the motherboards bios checks before it will give the post beep;
1. The cpu - bent pins will cause a malfunction here
2. The Ram - defective ram sticks or sticks not seated properly will cause a malfunction.
3. Video card- the card not seated or a defective card will cause a malfunction.
4. The hard drive- The bios looks for a hard drive to be connected to the motherboard.

Try taking one ram stick and placing it in the first slot closest to the cpu socket and see if it will post , then try the other one.
If nothing still works then it might be that the motherboard or the cpu that you bought is defective and you will have to determine which it is so you can get a RMA.
The purpose of the beep codes is to let you know that one of the four components is defective so if you get no beeps then that would mean the motherboard could be defective. That is after everything is checked and rechecked to make sure you didn't miss a connection or something isn't seated right. You only have two new components and the rest you know was working so it can help in narrowing down the problem part.

JRN121

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
I've tried all the things you said and nothing seemed to work. I don't get any beep codes when powering on, however when theres no ram in I do get long continuous beeps, so would that meanits the motherboard? Thanks for the help I appreciate it.

It's sometimes very diffacult to determine what is causing the problem and in this case there are two new components that are mixed in with components that you know were working. By removing the ram and getting beep codes means that the motherboard is working but we don't jnow how well yet so try diconnecting the hard drive to see if you get them as well.
You have said that you got a new video card , do you still have the old one? You could try putting in the old card and see if it makes a difference.

JRN121

Honorable
Apr 14, 2012
I tried what you said to do with the hard drives and didn't get any beep codes. The only video card I have right now is the one I'm using, so I cant try what you suggested with that unfortunately. As of right now the only beep codes I'm getting are for the ram.

Get the graphics card out and connect the monitor to the motherboard instead (not to the graphics card). It should work. Also, you'll have to reinstall windows if you get to BIOS anyway - because new processor and motherboard requires it. Also, you were connecting the monitor right to the graphics card, and not the motherboard right? The motherboard connector disables itself when it detects a graphics card connected inside the PC.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.