Question Computer starts, but won't load BIOS

Apr 29, 2019
Since I built my computer in January of 2015, I've had this problem that would come up every few days or weeks, where I would turn on the computer, and everything would start running internally (lights turning on, fans running, etc), but the BIOS wouldn't load, and my monitors, mouse, and keyboard would all stay dark (all peripherals). I would usually just turn off and unplug the computer for 10 mins or so, and this would seem to do the trick most of the time.

This problem hasn't happened in months, but then yesterday I went to install a SSD and it happened again (I didn't have the new SSD inserted when the error occurred). This time, I haven't been able to start the computer properly by just unplugging it. In fact, I haven't been able to start it since yesterday. I tried resetting the CMOS by removing the Motherboard battery, and also by grounding it (of course, while the computer was powered off). I also tried removing and reinserting the RAM sticks.

Additionally, something else that happens occasionally (may not be related) is that my computer will randomly start up on its own. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Here are my parts:
Antec 620W PSU
G.Skill 4GB (x2)
Seagate 1TB SSHD
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Intel i7 4790k
MSI GTX970

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
Since I built my computer in January of 2015, I've had this problem that would come up every few days or weeks, where I would turn on the computer, and everything would start running internally (lights turning on, fans running, etc), but the BIOS wouldn't load, and my monitors, mouse, and keyboard would all stay dark (all peripherals). I would usually just turn off and unplug the computer for 10 mins or so, and this would seem to do the trick most of the time.

This problem hasn't happened in months, but then yesterday I went to install a SSD and it happened again (I didn't have the new SSD inserted when the error occurred). This time, I haven't been able to start the computer properly by just unplugging it. In fact, I haven't been able to start it since yesterday. I tried resetting the CMOS by removing the Motherboard battery, and also by grounding it (of course, while the computer was powered off). I also tried removing and reinserting the RAM sticks.

Additionally, something else that happens occasionally (may not be related) is that my computer will randomly start up on its own. Any help here would be greatly appreciated!

Here are my parts:
Antec 620W PSU
G.Skill 4GB (x2)
Seagate 1TB SSHD
MSI Z97 Gaming 7
Intel i7 4790k
MSI GTX970

Sounds like a bad power supply. That would be the most likely but it could also be a bad CPU or faulty mobo.

PCMDDOCTORS

Distinguished
Aug 31, 2015
Could you expand on why it’s more likely the PSU?

The Capacitors in the PSU could be going bad or a bad wire on it, or bad Power cable from PC to power outlet.
CPU could have bad thermal paste, bad cooler, bent pins (unlikely)
Mobo could have a bad traces that have burned out.
Also try a different power outlet in your home. I saw a video where the wall outlet was not getting the right voltage and caused problems with a PC.