Question Computer starts freezing after 5-6 hours of use while idle / low stress

Apr 21, 2020
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/6xxsx6

storage is not entirely accurate as two of my drives are pretty old. no OC, using stock cooler lol

I've yet to have it happen while i'm gaming but it's happened multiple times while i'm just browsing the web on chrome, with discord/spotify/steam/other startups in the background. my task manager doesn't show any percentages going crazy overboard, everything is pretty standard. It would slowly start freezing as well, usually a chrome tab will take incredibly long to come up, then chrome stops responding for a second, then the screen freezes for a few seconds, gradually getting worse. a quick restart brings the computer back to normal until it inevitably happens again either in a few hours or the next day.

This had happened a few times before, i'd say it started around 7-6 months ago. in recent times, it started to happen a lot more frequently. after doing some research a likely culprit was the PSU. this PC was built i'd say around 2013, and I upgraded the memory/mobo/cpu about 9 months ago, 2 months before this started happening. I kept the hard drive / SSD boot drive / case / psu for the build but I'm leaning on the PSU being the issue because it is pretty old and I'm not sure if the symptoms point to hard drive failure, but i'd like to hear more thoughts on this issue as nothing I could find was exactly similar to my experience. thank you

Apr 21, 2020
thread was placed in the wrong forum, so i'm bumping.

another thing to point out is that I just did a clean install of windows 10 just a few weeks ago, so I highly doubt the issue is anything virus-related.

Apr 21, 2020
Hi, bumping with an update.

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/2ycpk6

I ended up replacing the PSU late april and the problem went away for a few weeks, but has returned. Same sort of freezing up, starts small and then mouse locks up, audio starts stalling, etc. Once it happens my CPU usage goes up to 60-80%, and if I manage to close all my programs like chrome and steam, the computer remains stable until I open up a program again. I'm kind of running out of ideas so any help would be appreciated. If theres anything else that I should disclose, please also let me know. Thank you.

TRENDING THREADS