Question Computer starts turning on then shuts off before OS screen.

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
I just put together a new build I and it worked like a dream for about a week. Then, it just turned off. I tried to reboot and it starts booting up. I see the motherboard screen, then the screen goes black just before the OS loads and it turns off.

I tried rebooting a few times. Once it made it to a blue system recovery screen before turning off again. Any idea what it could be?

I’m guessing maybe the PSU?

my specs:
Win 10 Home
Ryzen 5900x CPU
Evga 3080 ftw3 GPU
Sabrent ssd m.2
32GB Trident Neo ram 3600
Arctic freezer ii cooler
X570 aorus elite mobo
Seasonic 750w platinum psu

If it is relevant, I updated my Bios and all drivers to latest version right after build and it has been working fine until today. Anyone know what it could be?

Thanks in advance

Update: I just tried again. This time I made it to the password screen befor it turned off.

Last edited:

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
More info: I unplugged everything and brought my tower to another room and just plugged it into another outlet with no inputs (no monitors, keyboard or USBs) and it seemed to boot up and stay on, as far as I could tell (the lights inside the case came on and never went off). I am going to try it again after work today and see what happens. Could it be that the outlet isnt supplying enough juice with my computer and three monitors (and peripherals - modem, router) plugged into it? If that's the case, why would it work fine for a week before turning off? Also, my old computer works fine in that original outlet, but the new computer likely has higher power requirements.

Another possibility I thought of is that maybe something overheated. When I plugged it in in the other room, all the fans and my cooler fan seemed to be spinning (CPU cooler seemed attached right), so I dont think this is the case but not sure.

If anyone has any ideas, lemme know. I will report back after work today when I have time to troubleshoot it a bit more.

Thanks.

Last edited:

Smarticus

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2014
I tried again today at lunch, still no luck.

I tried replacing the power cord because I had a spare. Thought maybe that would work, but nope.

I have a 750w PSU computer and 3 monitors and some peripherals (speakers, mics, headset, modem, router etc) all plugged into the same outlet. I spoke to an electrician and he said if its using pretty much the entire 750w that is about half what the outlet should bear. I know this outlet is daisy-chained to a few outlets in the house, going to the same switch/fuse, so there may be several more applicances/lights drawing power. He said $800 or so to separate it out onto its own fuse. Don't really want to proceed with that unless I know it's for sure the issue. Also, if it was drawing too much power, wouldn't the fuse blow and I'd have to turn it back on rather than only the computer turning off? Also, strange it worked fine for a week.

I cant really figure it out.

So, yeah, still guessing it is maybe the the outlet rather than a faulty PSU, since the PC seemed to power up when the case had no peripherals plugged in in a different room. But not really sure. Could it be a power surge issue? I have all my monitors etc in a power bar, but the PC is direct to wall outlet.

Reading some other threads, some other people suggested clearing CMOS with other problems booting. I dont know anything about that, except that it would involve removing the battery from my motherboard and rolling back BIOS. Not sure if I should try that. I had to QFlash my board up to the latest BIOS just to get my CPU to work on the board in the first place.

If anyone else has any ideas, lemme know. Thanks again.

Last edited:
I just put together a new build I and it worked like a dream for about a week. Then, it just turned off. I tried to reboot and it starts booting up. I see the motherboard screen, then the screen goes black just before the OS loads and it turns off.

I tried rebooting a few times. Once it made it to a blue system recovery screen before turning off again. Any idea what it could be?

I’m guessing maybe the PSU?

my specs:
Win 10 Home
Ryzen x5900 CPU
Evga 3080 ftw3 GPU
Sabrent ssd m.2
32GB Trident Neo ram 3600
Arctic freezer ii cooler
X570 aorus elite mobo
Seasonic 750w platinum psu

If it is relevant, I updated my Bios and all drivers to latest version right after build and it has been working fine until today. Anyone know what it could be?

Thanks in advance

Update: I just tried again. This time I made it to the password screen befor it turned off.
Please tell me with this 'new' build you did a clean installation of Windows to your SSD.