Question Computer Starts up and has weird black screen.

bark41502

Prominent
Mar 15, 2017
Okay so for some prior info, a problem like this has never happened to me before. I built my own pc, I am running windows 7, and I usually leave my computer on over night.
Last night it was very windy, but no lightning or anything like that. I woke up in the middle of the night because the power kept going on and off pretty quickly. On, off, on, off. Then it stayed off for a while then wen't back on and stayed on for a little while and went back off. Just probably a tree was messing with a power line but didn't entirely knock it down.

So when I got up this morning, my pc was off which made sense due to the power issues. When I turned it on it gave me the common windows screen saying start your computer normally, start it in safe mode, etc. So I started it normally and it went to just a black screen with some very short blue lines at the top of the screen like here. This actually normally does happen for some reason but only for a few seconds then it goes to my desktop. But this time it didn't, it just stayed and more weird lines kept coming up next to the blue ones. More and more over time. This is a few seconds after the blue lines. This is a few minutes after.
I don't know if this is a ram problem, or a problem with my hard drive. I'm pretty sure it doesn't have to do with my GPU or my monitor though as they could show the black windows boot screen asking to go into safe mode and what not.

If anyone knows what is causing this and a possible solution that would be great.

Thanks.

EDIT: I just restarted it a few times and hit the windows key and f2 randomly and it started properly? I'm even more confused now.

Last edited: