[SOLVED] Computer starts up for a few seconds then shutdowns, repeats automatically

Feb 15, 2019
So this problem just started today when it suddenly just shut off. I tried starting it back up but it would only last a few seconds before shutting off; the computer would automatically boot itself back up but again only last a few seconds before shutting off and the process would keep looping until I manually force a shutdown.

After searching some theories online, and common knowledge, I believe it’s a PSU problem.

I like to say I’m tech savvy and I understand the basics but considering it was custom built by recommendations from a local computer shop, im not entirely sure with each components compatibility with each other. Which is where I’m at now, asking for advice on whether I should upgrade/change parts to maximise their efficiency since I feel as though I’m not.

Corsair Vs650 Watts PSU
ASUS Gtx1070 08G graphics card
Intel I5-6600ti CPU
ASUS Z170-P D3 motherboard
16gb ram

I DID have a thermaltake basic mid range fan attached but the power cuts were still occurring even with it detached.

I mainly play heavy graphic dependent FPS games like BF4 and recently apex legends. But I find myself having to decrease the graphics as much as possible to get frames and even then they’re not the smoothest.

Any info or advice would be greatly appreciated. Don’t hesitate to ask for further detail and I apologise for any ignorance in my explanation and/or responses.

Just fyi- the case is extremely basic; the PSU and Graphics Card fans are facing each other in close proximity. So it’s a five that I’ll be upgrading the case.

Solution
You have good specs but low quality PSU. What a waste.

In any event, what you describe here is that one of the core components in your PC has died, most likely thanks to your low quality Corsair VS-series PSU. Those components could be either: CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU or all of them.

At this point, you're looking towards new PSU either way. This time, do not cheap out on PSU and go with good quality PSU. Any Seasonic PSU in 600W range will do just fine, e.g Focus+ or PRIME series.

After you've bought new PSU, you can have the same symptoms since like i said above, you're description matches the core component failure. MoBo is usually first to go in these kind of situations but it could be CPU or RAM as well. You can exclude the GPU from...

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You have good specs but low quality PSU. What a waste.

In any event, what you describe here is that one of the core components in your PC has died, most likely thanks to your low quality Corsair VS-series PSU. Those components could be either: CPU, MoBo, RAM, GPU or all of them.

At this point, you're looking towards new PSU either way. This time, do not cheap out on PSU and go with good quality PSU. Any Seasonic PSU in 600W range will do just fine, e.g Focus+ or PRIME series.

After you've bought new PSU, you can have the same symptoms since like i said above, you're description matches the core component failure. MoBo is usually first to go in these kind of situations but it could be CPU or RAM as well. You can exclude the GPU from the list if you pull the GPU out of the system, connect monitor to your MoBo and look if you see the same symptoms. If the system boots without GPU, your GPU is dead. If the system has same symptoms, either your CPU, MoBo or RAM or all three are dead.

If you'd have 2nd working PC with 6th gen Intel CPU, you could test CPU, RAM and GPU operation in there. Testing MoBo is very tedious even if you'd have 2nd system. Without 2nd system, your only hope would be bringing the PC to the PC repair shop. I'd switch shops at this point.

Solution
Feb 15, 2019
Cheers Aeacus, thanks for taking the time to write that. I’ll definitely look into a new PSU. It was only a few months ago that I upgraded everything (apart from the case) but I didn’t upgrade the PSU and the comp wouldn’t start up so I took it back to ask what was wrong and they said the PSU was too low voltage so they recommended the VS650 Corsair which I have now and it’s been working fine since, except my comp would be very slow at tasks that should be easy and I always wondered how I could utilise the many output cables that were left over. I would’ve gone to a local comp shop but it was closed so I went to one of its branches abit further out and the customer service was terrible, an extremely socially inept guy who it seemed had never talked to anybody in his entire life.

(Back to present) Something I forgot to mention, is that after I opened up my PC and cleaned up the dust and disconnected the fan, it would actually start up on the second repeat of booting up but the PSU would make a high pitched buzz and would start smelling like a overheating engine. I’m sure it wasn’t safe so I turned everything off. The buzz was probably the volts/electricity I assume. That was with everything still connected apart from the separate fan.

I’m not sure a core component would be busted but I’m sure the PSU has gotta go. You’re obviously more experienced with this so I’ll take your suggestion that another component is fried and try booting without the GPU and only the MoBo. I’ll definitely be taking it into the shop and I’ll make sure to mention what you’ve advised.

Glad I posted on here. As I said, when I took it to their other branch I opened up my pc and trusted the guy to identify what was wrong. He just went back and brought out The Corsair and it powered up the pc at the time so I was satisfied, now I’m just pissed at the guy because it seems he couldn’t do his job let alone communicate like a human.

Thanks Aeacus.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
You're welcome. :)

You can cheap out on every other component inside the PC except PSU. Since PSU powers everything, it is the most important component inside the PC. Also, while the PSU warranty covers the PSU itself and you can RMA the blown PSU, the PSU warranty doesn't cover any other component the PSU fried.

Most people learn the hard way not to cheap out on a PSU when low quality PSU blows and takes part of the system or the whole system with it. Even entire houses have been burned down because of the fire low quality PSU caused when it blowed up. Not that Corsair VS series would catch fire but the risk of it frying entire PC would be enough for me to avoid Corsair VS series PSUs.

Like it or not, if you want your PC to work for years to come without any risk of fire and/or damage to your components, you need to hand out some money for good quality PSU. I'm not talking that you need to go with the best PSU money can buy, e.g Seasonic PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium), which costs $150+ (and which also powers my Skylake build). Seasonic Focus+ 650W (80+ Gold) i suggested above costs about $90 and is more than enough for your PC, both wattage and build quality wise.

If your local shop doesn't carry Seasonic PSUs, you can go with Corsair PSU as well but here, i need to enlighten you about Corsair PSUs and their build quality:
Corsair VS series PSUs are low quality units and the worst offered by Corsair. Corsair CS, CX and CXm series are better than VS series but build quality wise, they still are worse than anything offered by Seasonic. While Corsair AX, AXi, HX, HXi, RMx, RMi, TXm and SF series are on-par with Seasonic PSUs. For example, Corsair AX series PSUs are made by Seasonic.

For additional info, PSUs in my builds are:
Skylake: Seasonic PRIME 650 (80+ Titanium)
Haswell: Seasonic M12II-850 EVO (80+ Bronze) <- will upgrade that in near future
AMD: Seasonic Focus+ 550 (80+ Platinum) <- had Seasonic S12II-520 (80+ Bronze) before upgrade
(full specs with pics in my sig)

Last edited:

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Yea if your new to building, cheaping out on a PSU might seem like a good idea. BUT a good quality power supply will save you from potentially damaging other parts in the PC. Get a good quality PSU and your problems should be solved.

Feb 15, 2019
https://gyazo (dot) com/ddcee37d7316089e794cfd8d99128c27

That's what they offer in terms of PSU. They don't seem to supply Seasonic PRIME but i do see some of the alternative options you outlines within the stock listing i linked. What (in your opinion) is the best PSU listed there for up to $350 (AUD). Also, i disconnected the GPU and the problem still persists so I'll bring the PC into the shop and get the CPU and MoBo tested for reassurance as to which is toasted. I do always have the option of ordering parts online but i'd prefer to have the computer checked and the PSU replaced at the same time for convenience.

Aeacus

Titan
Ambassador
Out of the PSUs in that list, i'd go for Antec EarthWatts Pro 650W ($119) since that PSU is made by Seasonic and it uses Focus (80+ Gold) platform with nice 7 years of warranty,
Antec EAG Pro 750W review 01: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antec-earthwatts-gold-pro-750w-psu,5429.html
Antec EAG Pro 750W review 02: https://www.kitguru.net/components/power-supplies/zardon/antec-earthwatts-gold-pro-750w-psu-review

Antec High Current Gamer 850 (80+ Gold) is also made by Seasonic and it uses Focus+ (80+ Gold) platform with 10 years of warranty but that PSU is overkill wattage wise. Also, it costs too much as well, compared to the Antec EAG 650W unit ($195 vs $119),
Antec HCG 850W (80+ Gold) review: https://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/antec-high-current-gamer-850w-psu,5578.html