Computer Startup Freeze

Celestial1

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015
Okay so, I built my computer around 11 months ago and this has been a ongoing issue.

Sometimes when i will boot my computer up it will freeze on the windows logo, it will then reboot itself or it will just completely freeze, where i will have to shutdown and reboot the computer myself.

It can take from 1 - 10 attempts at booting before it works correctly, it doesn't freeze at all once windows loads.I have done the usual msconfig disabling startup/services, and the computer will still freeze while starting it up.I have done this on safe mode to and it still freezes.

11 months ago when this issue first started it wasn't this frequent, maybe every 1-5 days it would freeze on startup, these past few months it's been every day that it freezes.

I've ran multiple virus scans/disk cleans etc and nothing has changed.(From what i can remember this has always been a problem since i first got my computer so i'm doubting it's a virus)

The first time i will boot the computer in the morning it usually takes 1-10 attempts, but after i get the computer to run, i can restart the computer and 50% of the time it will boot just fine

Once i'm able to get windows to start without the freezing i can leave my computer on for 10+ hours and it won't freeze or shut down, i'm able to run high-resource intense games and it seems to run fine, a few days ago i had a game freeze and the audio bugged out and went insane forcing me to shutdown the game while streaming, but i'm thinking that was due to the streaming software ( it hasn't happened again since i stopped using the streaming software ), but this has been the only time in the past 11 months I've noticed it freeze.

It hasn't been that big of an issue for me to really look into until recently when it's been taking more and more time to start the computer.

Any input would be appreciated, thanks in advance :wahoo:

Edit : Sometimes the when i power up the computer it will turn on for just a second and shut down again, and sometimes it will freeze before it even hits the windows logo this has been happening more frequently.

jonespwns

Distinguished
Apr 4, 2011
My thoughts point toward a PSU problem. Have you tried a different one? A computer takes the more power to turn on, than to run itself. So if for some reason your getting inadequate power through your PSU, then you could be experiencing these problems. I would also suggest running hard drive scans to see if you are dealing with any bad sectors on your current Windows hard drive.

Celestial1

Reputable
Feb 17, 2015

Have not tried a different PSU, tried the hard drive scans and nothing showed up.