Question Computer stays on longer the longer it remains off.

Jan 21, 2020
I'm not entirely sure how to phrase any of this, I'm not the most computer literate person but I have a general idea. I built this computer many years ago and it's always worked fine. I've upgraded it a few times, adding and replacing components. About a year ago, when I went to boot it up, it just wouldn't boot. Monitor displayed no signal, no power to mouse or keyboard but GPU fan, cooling fan, power fan boot up just fine. the red indicator light on the front of my case wouldn't turn on either. I let it remain off and I would mess around with it from time to time, trying every method I could think of to get it back on. reseating everything, resetting cmos, etc. occasionally I could get it to boot up to windows but it would always just turn the red indicator light off and go back to the monitor having no signal. I ended up moving and it sat in storage until earlier this month when I thought about it, turned it on and lo' and behold, it turns on just fine. I even managed to update everything besides windows and play a few games. the next day I attempted to update windows and it seemed to be running just fine so I left for work. when I got back home, it was "off" again. red indicator light off, no signal to monitor, no power to mouse or keyboard but all fans running. it really feels like there's a correlation between how long it stays on and how long I keep it powered down for. thanks a lot for any help anyone can provide.

specs:
motherboard - gigabyte GA-78LMT
power supply - corsair CX600M
GPU - GEFORCE GTX 1060
RAM - HyperX Fury 1 -8gig and 2 4gig
Thermaltake CPU fan
Sandisk SSD Plus

Jan 21, 2020
Replace the BIOS battery...it's a small coin size battery usually mounted near the expansion slots at the bottom of the board. You can buy a replacement at most drugstores where they keep camera batteries.

so I just replaced it. it turns on just fine, but it still just power downs on me. windows loads in just fine but all of a sudden the red indicator light on the front of my case shuts off, the keyboard and mouse lights shut off but the fans keep spinning. I am so confused.

Try using HWinfo64 to monitor temps for your system...if the temps look good try running MemTest86 for memory errors.

If temps are good and memtest passes then that sort of narrows it down to a flaky power supply IMO.

If the cpu was bad I would think it would just be bad and not work intermittently. If your GPU was going bad usually you'll get either coil whine, distorted graphics, pixelation issues, or other corruption while gaming...but it sounds like that's not the case.