Computer stopped booting after almost 3 years.

samuelgrady22

Commendable
Aug 17, 2018
Hello, and I just want to thank anyone who reads this and tried to help me. Anyways, here we go...

My computer shut off yesterday, and didn't turn back on. It has been with me since almost 3 years, and hasn't had any problems up until now. There was signs something was up, for example the random shut offs for 2 weeks. Then, purple screens 2 days prior. Now, I'm here on my laptop trying to figure this out... I've been searching on many forums to find this issue and I can't seem to find anyone who knows the answer.

Right after my PC wouldn't turn on, I did some researched and found out it was probably a PSU problem. So, I go to bestbuy an bought a 850 EVGA PSU. hooked it up to my computer and tried to turn it on. Nothing happened, and this is when I started to worry. I called a friend, and bought my PC to his house. He had a motherboard he could lend to see if that was the issue.

We hook up the new motherboard with the new power supply, and everything. The motherboard works with my CPU, no doubt about that. Anyways, we turn it on, and nothing. The motherboard lights go on, but the PC itself doesn't. Now, I know the motherboard lights aren't hooked up to the actual PC itself. So, now we have a mystery on our hands. Just so everyone knows, not even the fans started spinning in all the situations.

I go searching on the forums, and I found a lot of people saying a dead or faulty GPU can cause a PC to not boot at all. This would kind of make sense, I guess? Afterall, I was having purple screens. It could be tied to that.

Anyways, I am currently not near my computer as it's at my friends house. My friends dad is coming home later today and he is going to check it out for himself. I'm just wondering if anyone on this forum can lend a hand at all as to what it might be. I bought my 980ti on Nov 30, 2015. That means if the GPU is actually the problem, it's still under warranty for 2 months.

My specs:
i5 6600k
980ti
16GB DDR4
z170-a Motherboard
RM750 PSU (Now 850 EVGA PSU)

Thanks everyone for reading this and trying to help out. It's been a rough day trying to figure this all out, and spending your time to help me really means a lot.

Lutfij

Titan
1| You will need to state your full system's specs like so:
CPU:
Motherboard:
Ram:
SSD/HDD:
GPU:
PSU:
Chassis:

Since you tried out your friend's board, we'd also need to know the make and model of the donor board. Are we dealing with an Asus board or another manufacturer? It's not stated, thus the inquiry.

Prior to the let up, did you make sure you're on the latest BIOS for your motherboard? Have you tried breadboarding[ the system without the GTX980Ti?

TRENDING THREADS