Computer stopt working after electric outage

Status
Not open for further replies.

Qwerty018

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Hi guys,

Yesterday, I was just doing normal stuff on my computer, and suddenly all the electric devices went off. This occured only in my house not in the rest of the neighbourhood. When I checked the electricity cabinet, I saw the RCD went down. And after I switched the electricity back on, my computer stopped working. The only sign of life it shows is when I turn on my computer all the fans begin moving and after 1 sec it stops and switches off. The little green light on the motherboard is still working, So why does it not boot? I've already unplugged everything and left it for a few minutes and plugged the cables back in, This didn't work. What should I do before touching the inside of my computer?

My system (which I built a half year ago)
AMD A8-3850
ASUS F1A75-V EVO MB
Corsair CX600 Watt V2
Corsair Vengeance 4 gig 1600 Mhz
MSI HD6670 1GDDR5
WD Blue 500 G

Any suggestions why my pc just stopped working and why the electricity suddenly went off?

Solution

Nice choice! = i own two of those:)
You should add a decent surge protector = spend at least $20.
Anything less is a glorified extension cord.
I have no idea why your breaker tripped at your house. Did the lights go dim or get really bright before the power went out? Is your computer on a UPS or power strip? If yes, then have you tried swapping it with a different one?

Edit: PSUs are designed to sarifice themselves to save the rest of your PCs compnents. Do you have a PSU tester or a multimemter to test the voltages on your PSU?

Qwerty018

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
There were no signs that it was going to happen. I was just sitting behind my pc and suddenly everthing went dark in the house.
No, my pc is not connected to a ups, but it is connected to a power strip. I took my pc downstairs try plug it into a different socket, but same results.

Qwerty018

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
I just tried the PSU test, Appearently my psu doesn't work. I get the same results. The fan begins spinning for a moment and then stops again. I just can't understand how an expensive psu like a this corsair can fail after a half year. Unfortunately I moved to another country, so no warranty for me.

A modern active PFC power supply doesn't have a fuse btw.

Qwerty018

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2011
Ok, I tried warranty and they said it was probably my fault or the fault of the electricity company. I didn't want to use lots of time for this problem, so I just bought a new one. The OCZ ModXstream PRO 600 Watt, because it's modular and nice and quiet.

Nice choice! = i own two of those:)
You should add a decent surge protector = spend at least $20.
Anything less is a glorified extension cord.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.