Computer stuck at BIOS screen.

Ragnarous

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013
Hey guys, I was casually gaming and went to take a bath real quick, only to come back and see that I couldn't connect to the wireless network. There was an X on top of the wifi bars (windows 7) indicating that there was no connections or anything going on.

So I did a restart of my PC and as soon as the BIOS screen showed up (where it tells you to press a key to enter BIOS) the PC would freeze there, having no post or anything. Did a restart again and same thing happened.

How I got it to move forward was manually turning off the wall switch that provides electricity to my PC and after the power-up it loaded up all OK.

The question is, why did all this happen out of the blue? I'm asking to further understand and know what to do in the future if it repeats it again.
Thank you!

Solution
it sounds like a piece of hardware was acting up and a complete power down resolved it. did you have any USB or other external drives connected to the PC when you restarted?

Ragnarous

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013

I have an Alfa AWUS036NHA USB Wifi Adapter plugged in the front USB headers of the case. Other than that, nothing else. It's a new equipment tho, even tho the PC is around 8 years old and never had this issue before.

Ragnarous

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2013

Turns out it was the wifi adapter. It stuck again at the bios screen and I just pulled the USB plug out and beeped instantly, moving forward with no issues.
Real shame...