[SOLVED] Computer stuck in a booting loop

chris h the guy

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
So, a long time ago (3 years ago) my computer broke down after my dad pulled the plug on it. It had voltage problems(i think) and would not start up after that incident. So, it's now 3 years into the future and I finally got off my lazy ass and tried to repair it with a new CPU and motherboard. The only things that I used that are old are my RAM, graphics cards, PSU, memory, and case. I have no clue as to what is causing my computer to loop restarting. I tested the PSU through the green and black wire as well and the PSU does not seem to be dead, the fan seems to run.

When I press the power button, the power supply clicks once every half second, the fans and lights run for half a second, and it just keeps looping like that until I press the off button on the PSU. Does anybody have a clue as to what a solution could be?

Heres a video of the restart loop happening:
View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I-Jp8kfgfNo&feature=youtu.be

Solution
Any time your computer is in a loop of booting up, and it isn't giving you any blue screens or recovery screens, then it is generally your PSU browning out. That is the first place I would start trouble shooting. I had a similar issue, all i did was went to a computer hardware store and bought a bigger better PSU and let them know I would be returning it if it didnt solve my issue. It ended up being the cause of the problem so I kept it.
Drop down to one stick of RAM, disconnect all SATA power and data cables, and try again...

If no help, does your MB and CPU support integrated video? (If so, remove GPU entirely, and see if rig will power on/POST)

Do you have a known good PSU of sufficient wattage you can try to a day or two...? (Please no talk of how any particular power supplies 'test good' with a $9 'tester' ,which puts them under absolutely no load whatsoever..)

chris h the guy

Prominent
Feb 14, 2019
I do not think that my motherboard and CPU support integrated video, but I can test my RAM actually, I should go do that tomorrow. I will leave an update here. If nothing works out, I suppose I will buy myself a new power supply. This has been such a big pain in the butt for me. Do you think I should test the RAM on my current prebuilt computer or would it be too risky and cause some failures in my computer?

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Are you sure the clicking sound is coming from the PSU?

To make sure there's an easy way to find out with a higher degree of certainty. Roll a piece of paper (an A4 for example) into a tube and put one end near your ear and point the other end at where you think is the source of the sound and while the sound is audible move it around to pin point a more exact location for the source of the sound.

A PSU shoould not be making any noise really apart from the sound the rush of air makes first it turns on and fan rotates (definitely not a sound like the clicking in the footage if it in fact comes from the PSU).

spencer.cleaves2

Upstanding
Jan 5, 2019
Any time your computer is in a loop of booting up, and it isn't giving you any blue screens or recovery screens, then it is generally your PSU browning out. That is the first place I would start trouble shooting. I had a similar issue, all i did was went to a computer hardware store and bought a bigger better PSU and let them know I would be returning it if it didnt solve my issue. It ended up being the cause of the problem so I kept it.

Solution