Computer stuck in boot loop (no signal on screen - see details inside)

neoesprit

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Hi guys! Today, my computer started to show a problem with loss of signal to the screen. The screen was just going black with a signal lost message and only way to fix it was to hard reset. Late this afternoon, I was fed up and decided to see what was wrong inside the case (maybe it was a cable problem?) but after checking every connection, I couldn't see anything wrong. Then I tried to start the computer and BAM, nothing shows on screen, fans going full speed and after 20-30 sec, computer shut down and try starting again.

So before continuing here are the specs:

MB: Asus ranger VII
CPU: i7 4790
GPU: gigabyte g1 gaming 980TI
16 go ddr ram corsair
CPU fan is a water cooling all in one from corsair

At first I feared it was the GPU or the DP cable. I tried with an HDMI one, but to no avail, still no signal. I then tested the card in another rig and it works perfectly (bought it late 2015 so not that old).

I connected the hdmi cable directly to the mother board to see if I could boot with the cpu graphic chipset but then again, boot loop.

Everything is lit up correctly on the MB, fans are working and I can't think the HDD would be in cause since I can't even access the bios and there's no video signal. Not seems to be CPU related either unless It could?

I think its either the PSU or the Mother board. I can't really use another PSU right now to test it but if it was the PSU, nothing would work right?

Any ideas? =/

Solution
Hello... 1) Did you un-plug the front/Case USB/audio/media headers too?

2) Well the PS is still a variable too... do you OR a friend have a multi-meter to check the +12vdc, +5vdc, +3.3Vdc from the PS? or I would try another PS too...

3) Re-check/insert your Main Power connecter on the MB too.

4) Try another MB CMOS battery 2for$@$store and another (longer) CMOS clear.

5) Re-check/insert your CPU power connecter on the MB too.

Hello... The computer power supply has many different voltages in them... +12Vdc is needed for your CPU and GPU, and other lower Voltages are used for other hardware on the MB/etc. So it is possible to have some things powered and other not. B /

I would suggest removing the video card... removing the MB battery and doing a Cmos clear/reset ~2 mins... remove clear/reset, put battery back in, and connect the monitor to the MB for CPU/IGT output... on the next BOOT your BIO's will find a good BOOT setting and create new CMOS data for it.

You will need to change your BIO's video settings (save&exit) to re-enable your Ext PCIe Video card use/tests.

neoesprit

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017

Already tried to remove the GPU and connect the monitor to the motherboard nothing shows.

As for doing a CMOS I'm not sure how to do this but I'll check that out :)

Also my PSU is a semi modular corsair 750w (80+ bronze)

Hello... a CMOS clear will install the default BIO's (safe settings) back, and hopefully find a BOOTable setting for your installed Hardware.

Take your time here and be slow and careful to your MB... look in your MB manual/Pdf for pictures and location of the SW/pins. B )
1) un-plug PS from wall.
2) remove MB battery
3) place jumper on pins OR push switch on MB to clear the capacitors... for ~2 mins
4) remove Jumper/switch connection.
5) re-install battery
6) plug monitor into the MB or video card output. *
7) plug in PS to wall
8) Boot computer.

*You may need to change you CPU/IGT or Video card setting in your BIOS (save&exit) depending on your MB/BIOS/Video output needs.

neoesprit

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
ok so CMOS clear didn't change anything. Boot still hanging for 30-40s after boot then try to restart.

I should note that on my mother board, the cmos clear is made easy thanks to a cmos clear button (found thanks to the MB manual).

I guess I'm good to change my MB then?

neoesprit

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017

ok everything unplugged except what you've mentionned, problem still persists. All seems to point to the Mother Board =(

2) Well the PS is still a variable too... do you OR a friend have a multi-meter to check the +12vdc, +5vdc, +3.3Vdc from the PS? or I would try another PS too...

Solution

neoesprit

Prominent
Mar 2, 2017
Ok so I unplugged the front case usb and audio media cable (which I hadn't unplugged previously) and restarded and BAM bios setup showed. Plugged my mouse and keyboard to navigate the bios and upon exiting I went into windows flawlessly. I switch off the computer and re-plugged the GPU. Started again, got into windows. Switched off again, plugged in the usb front pannel, and then the audio. Still working. Then went and added back all other devices. No problem.

I'm gonna let the computer run for a few hours and see if I get another video signal loss. if that's the case, should I be worried about the PSU then?

In any case, THANKS so much for you advices. You may have saved some much needed cash :)

Hello.... B D... I had a feeling you might not have un-plugged those... media card readers and USB interfaces get screwed up/die very easily on cases... they run off the +5 Vdc from your MB/PS... Chances are it will happen again B / You have done well on YOUR side to save the $$$.

Typically a DC voltage multi-meter will let you watch your +12 Vdc voltage (yellow wires) as you load it down with gaming and OC's... if you see a large Voltage drop, or constantly below +12 Vdc, this means the PS +12Vdc rail is having troubles keeping up. B /

Apr 25, 2020

I have done all of that, i am running in the same issue it crashed with blue screen one day and since then is stuck in a boot loop with no post
Config: i5 6400p
Mb: gigabyte ga h110m s2
Memory , crucial 8 gigs
Gpu ; msi gtx 1060 oc edition

Feb 2, 2021
I have done all of that, i am running in the same issue it crashed with blue screen one day and since then is stuck in a boot loop with no post
Config: i5 6400p
Mb: gigabyte ga h110m s2
Memory , crucial 8 gigs
Gpu ; msi gtx 1060 oc edition
I have been having the same problem, blue screen than boot loop, any solutions yet?