Computer stuck in restart loop, won't POST

icemule1

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I just bought two computers from the same source and they are both having the exact same problem. When I plug them in, they turn on automatically. I found it odd that I didn't have to push the power button to turn them on. Then they shut down a few seconds later. Then they turn on automatically again, then shut down again, rinse and repeat. I'm not able to get anything on my monitor, and it shuts down before I can get in the BIOS. Here's what I've tried so far:

1) I tried a known working power supply. Same problem.
2) I tried known working RAM and moved it around to all RAM slots. Same problem.
3) I tried another processor that is compatible with the motherboard. Same problem.
4) I tried removing the processor altogether. Then the fans go on high speed and it doesn't turn off, but I still can't get into the BIOS.
5) I removed all cards from the PCI slots. Same problem.
6) I disconnected the hard drive/DVD burner/floppy drive. Same problem.

I'm all out of ideas. Does anyone have an idea on what might be causing this? At this point I'm thinking the motherboards are bad on both of them but I find it VERY strange that both of the computers are having the same problem. The computers are Gateways, model E-4620D, and they're both only a couple years old with very little signs of use.

Any advice would be appreciated as I seem dead in the water here. Don't want to buy new motherboards if it could be something else.

You can unplug the power supply and remove the motherboard battery carefully. I bend the tang that holds it in place until it pops up slightly and remove it for a few seconds. This forces the board bios to reset. Then it will stop on the post screen long enough for you to enter the bios using an "f" key listed or the "del" key, whichever works for your board. Then you can change the boot order to cd(dvd)>hardrive and save and exit using the f10 key. Then you can run your windows or linux installation cd. Other causes of reboots are bad ram or a bad capacitor, which is a problem I have with an old hp board.

icemule1

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
I tried a couple more things:

7) I removed and replaced the battery as per your recommendation, o1die
8) I reset the CMOS by moving the jumper to the reset position then moving it back to the normal position after a few minutes

Now it doesn't turn on the moment I plug in the power, and now also it doesn't reboot itself automatically anymore, but it still won't post. When I push the power button, it turns on and the fans spin and the heat spreader over the processor gets warm, but I still don't get anything on my monitor screen (which I know is working). Also strange thing is that when I power it down by holding the power button, the light on the power button never goes off but everything does indeed power down. Any other suggestions on something I can try?

In case this is useful to anyone helping diagnose the problem, here is some documentation on the motherboard:

http://support.gateway.com/s/MOTHERBD/ECS/4006235R/4006235Rtc.shtml

residentdean

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2011
You seem to have done every thing that there is to do. It sounded to me that maybe the memory was not in the right slot but you checked that. I would send that back to gateway, and for future reference never buy a gateway. I am a computer tech and I'm proud to say that gateway and HP pay my bills lol!

icemule1

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2011
One thing I should mention is that I noticed the original power supplies they came with were set to 230V (I live in the USA so it should be set to 115V). When I originally powered on the computers, I didn't even look at that. I'm wondering if I could've fried the boards? I read elsewhere on the internet on a less technical website that accidentally having it set to 230V instead of 115V wouldn't fry it.

bam13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2011
I have a gateway E-4620D and i have had it for a while then one day i went and ate dinner came back and now it just comes on but the monitor doesn't act like it's hooked up (tried different ones.) No keyboard lights, No mouse lights, but the fans run and the light works on the case.

I have another computer that is almost like it but it an hp (but all the parts are compatible except processors, ones AMD ones Intel.) I have changed Power supply, New Mother Board, New battery in mother board, changed hard drive, disk drives. I am all out of ideas. I think the only thing I havn't changed is the processor.

Did you find a way to fix yours?

Cole99801

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
All of the E-4620D's have 2 capacitors that fail on the motherboard. They just need to be replaced, you will see them bulging (1 or both). They are the 2 tall ones on different areas on the board, identical specs 6.3v 1800uF. Good luck!