Computer Stuck on Limited Connection

Doug13

Honorable
Aug 17, 2013
I've noticed my internet dropping a little bit lately, it isn't any thing world destroying just annoying. Recently (today) I noticed my computer is stuck on Limited Connection. The weird thing is that I have perfect internet connection and i'm on that computer now. Some websites wont load properly now though and I think its because its only limited connection. Is their any solution for this problem

Specs:
Wired Internet
Windows 10
Asus Maximus Hero VII
Intel 4690k
Nividia GTX 980
8GB Ram

I've never had this problem before and none of the other wireless/wired computers in my house have it either.

Thanks

Solution
If you execute a cmd shell and an IPCONFIG /all |more, is your IP a 169.x.x.something ?

cmd /k ipconfig /all |more

If so, renew your lease until you re-establish an internet connection:

cmd /k ipconfig /renew

hit that as often as you want until you obtain a full connection, you're going to have several black rectangle "DOS" windows on the screen, they're low overhead and can be closed w/o consequence if the clutter becomes too much.

After you have the Internet connection, execute one more IPCONFIG /all

Note the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway along with DNS servers.

Manually configure your connection with those numbers.

If you're still experiencing dropped connections, this implies your...

Kirk_2

Reputable
Nov 30, 2015
If you execute a cmd shell and an IPCONFIG /all |more, is your IP a 169.x.x.something ?

If so, renew your lease until you re-establish an internet connection:

cmd /k ipconfig /renew

hit that as often as you want until you obtain a full connection, you're going to have several black rectangle "DOS" windows on the screen, they're low overhead and can be closed w/o consequence if the clutter becomes too much.

After you have the Internet connection, execute one more IPCONFIG /all

Note the IP address, subnet mask and default gateway along with DNS servers.

Manually configure your connection with those numbers.

If you're still experiencing dropped connections, this implies your system is dropping off because of a power saving scheme being activated by periods of "inactivity".
the other leading cause is a failing Wifi router, but I'm loathe to blame hardware requiring capital outlay until software is eliminated.

If you have another non Win10 device, even a contemporary phone or other Windows/Mac system to compare, it would help you isolate the issues.

Solution

TRENDING THREADS