Question Computer stutter every second (not only when gaming)

Jun 6, 2022
Last week I noticed that my PC started stuttering not only when I was gaming, but doing any task. It seems that it happens every second. I noticed that the active time in the performance inspector was spiking with the stutter, I changed my SATA cable, and problem solved, everything came back to normal.
Yesterday the problem came back, but the active time is ok now, the disk transfer rate is spiking now, but not as consistent with the stutter like it was before (at least it seems so). I changed again to a new cable, and nothing happened this time. Tried every single SATA port in the motherboard, the problem persisted. I formatted my SSD, the problem persisted. I changed to another SSD, the problem persisted. I updated the bios and the problem persisted. To check if the problem was with the SSD, I booted a Linux image on USB and tried it without the SSD driver, and there was no stutter. I don't know what else to do, its really annoying to work with this stutter every second, I don't know what else to try, at this point, even though it seems a lot that the problem is related to the SSD, I'm not completely sure. What else can I try? I know its stupid but I even tried removing my RAM and putting back again, which of course didn't make any difference.
I don't know if the power supply is the issue, maybe I need something better to handle all the components, but again, I have this computer for about 6 months and never had any problem before.

motherboard: B550-A PRO
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
GPU: Gigabyte Eagle OC 12gb RTX 3060
RAM: DDR4 3200Mhz 16gb x 2
Power Supply: 700W
Cooler for the CPU: Artic Freezer 34 eSport DUO

Sorry if I made an English mistake, I'm not a native speaker

Jun 6, 2022
This is a PSU worthy of a trashcan and not a PC. Sorry to sound so harsh but that thing can and most likely will poof your PC on a rough day. Immediately get a new, better PSU. Something like an RMx from corsair, or a Seasonic FOCUS or PRIME PSU will serve you well.
ok but could this be the reason why my pc is stuttering?

ok but could this be the reason why my pc is stuttering?
It depends on who you ask. I say yes, others may disagree saying something along the lines of, "A faulty PSU will either work or not and if it fails it can take other components with it." I say unreliable power can lead to weird and unreliable performance. There is a good likelihood that the PSU is not what is causing your specific stuttering issue

Reactions: rgd1101

DaleH

Prominent
Mar 24, 2023
Last week I noticed that my PC started stuttering not only when I was gaming, but doing any task. It seems that it happens every second. I noticed that the active time in the performance inspector was spiking with the stutter, I changed my SATA cable, and problem solved, everything came back to normal.
Yesterday the problem came back, but the active time is ok now, the disk transfer rate is spiking now, but not as consistent with the stutter like it was before (at least it seems so). I changed again to a new cable, and nothing happened this time. Tried every single SATA port in the motherboard, the problem persisted. I formatted my SSD, the problem persisted. I changed to another SSD, the problem persisted. I updated the bios and the problem persisted. To check if the problem was with the SSD, I booted a Linux image on USB and tried it without the SSD driver, and there was no stutter. I don't know what else to do, its really annoying to work with this stutter every second, I don't know what else to try, at this point, even though it seems a lot that the problem is related to the SSD, I'm not completely sure. What else can I try? I know its stupid but I even tried removing my RAM and putting back again, which of course didn't make any difference.
I don't know if the power supply is the issue, maybe I need something better to handle all the components, but again, I have this computer for about 6 months and never had any problem before.

motherboard: B550-A PRO
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5950x
GPU: Gigabyte Eagle OC 12gb RTX 3060
RAM: DDR4 3200Mhz 16gb x 2
Power Supply: 700W
Cooler for the CPU: Artic Freezer 34 eSport DUO

Sorry if I made an English mistake, I'm not a native speaker
What does performance monitor tell you at the time the problem occurs?