[SOLVED] Computer stuttering and can't pin point the problem.

The Reaper Wolf

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
[Moderator edit to break up "wall of text".]

Okay so I built this PC a while ago right around when the gtx 1080 ti came out, the PC worked as expected and I had no problems.

Then just recently like within the last month or 2 my computer just stutters. Lets say I'm watching a youtube video and someone is saying the word hello (hel·lo ), while I'm doing nothing it starts to stutter while they are on the lo part of hello and for the next 10 to 20 seconds all I hear is lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo lo.

This happens regardless of the website or the activity I'm doing, I can't move my mouse I can't do control alt delete nothing. So I have to just sit there and wait.

I have a couple of theories but I don't think this is it. 1. is that my CPU is overheating, I have an i7 7700k with no overclocks, on my deepcool captain 360 cooler, the temp in idle is 40 which is high and sometimes I do see that it spikes up to 50 during idle, but if I were having an overheating CPU wouldn't my pc just crash (my pc rarely crashes even this is the issue),

the other theory is that my windows is corrupt or something so recently I tried to reinstall it but when I try to reinstall it, it says error windows could not install or something along those lines then I have to restart where it takes me back to my old install with the problem still occurring.

If you have any ideas that would be greatly appreciated, this is really becoming a big annoyance and if I can't fix this soon I will just have to build a new one.

Last edited by a moderator:
Solution
Kind of something else to rule out; might check for whether your HDD/SSD is going bad. Not very common on SSD's but HDD's i run into frequently having issues. You can test for that with SMART data by using a free utility Acronis Drive Monitor. I've run into thinking it's one thing and chasing the problem i think it could be, and turns out to be something else. Might be OK but never hurts to rule it out.
Let's first rule out heating/potential throttling issues...

Install (if not already) and fire up HWMonitor to check temps. (my own 7700K never broke 63C at stock clock speeds on a Noctua NH-D15 air cooler)

Run CPU-Z/Bench/Stress CPU for 20 minutes...

Note max temps achieved on HWMonitor during those 20 minutes...if you see 100C anywhere, you are probably throttling, and can possible pump failure, etc...

Unless overclocked or running MCE mode in your BIOS, you should see all-core turbo of 4.2 GHz....(MCE mode on an MCE -capable board will enable 4.5 GHz all-core turbo, with a few added degrees of heat, obviously...) Since 'idle' is a relative term, let's clarify that in normal operation, a CPU is really only idle when no browser is open, no real tasks are running, no cloud sync with storage is occurring, no WIndows updates are occurring, none being applied, etc...; with no activity, you will often note a CPU's clock speed (in balanced mode) hovering at 800-1200 MHz, mostly at 800 MHz or so....; however any task WIndows decides to undertake might task one or all cores for a second or two, boost clock speed to 2000, 3000, 3125 MHz, or even 4.5 GHz, briefly, which will instantly spike temps until the task is complete, then settle back down to typcial ideal temps of 33-36C at 800 MHz, etc.. (At least, such is my own 7700K processor's behavior on my Asus mainboard)

Stuttering, I'd be looking for anything obviously eating up CPU resources in task manager, even a potential malware/crypto-mining malware add-on...

If it's just a mysterious bad update/patch gone bad, a delete partitions/reinstall from scratch will take care of it..

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
Update your post to include full system hardware specs and OS.

What browser(s) do you use?

Use Task Manager and Resource Monitor to observe system performance.

First just open the tool (one or the other, not both at the same time) and just watch and explore the information being provided.

Then, leaving the window open but dragged to one side, do some things that are very likely to cause the stutter to occur.

See what changes, slows, bottlenecks, etc. when stutter happens.

You can also try running the Windows built-in troubleshooters. They may find and fix something.

Another option is to run "sfc /scannow" (without quotes) via the command prompt.

May repair a corrupted file.

FYI:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

j3ster

Reputable
May 23, 2016
Let's first rule out heating/potential throttling issues...

Install (if not already) and fire up HWMonitor to check temps. (my own 7700K never broke 63C at stock clock speeds on a Noctua NH-D15 air cooler)

Run CPU-Z/Bench/Stress CPU for 20 minutes...

Note max temps achieved on HWMonitor during those 20 minutes...if you see 100C anywhere, you are probably throttling, and can possible pump failure, etc...

Unless overclocked or running MCE mode in your BIOS, you should see all-core turbo of 4.2 GHz....(MCE mode on an MCE -capable board will enable 4.5 GHz all-core turbo, with a few added degrees of heat, obviously...) Since 'idle' is a relative term, let's clarify that in normal operation, a CPU is really only idle when no browser is open, no real tasks are running, no cloud sync with storage is occurring, no WIndows updates are occurring, none being applied, etc...; with no activity, you will often note a CPU's clock speed (in balanced mode) hovering at 800-1200 MHz, mostly at 800 MHz or so....; however any task WIndows decides to undertake might task one or all cores for a second or two, boost clock speed to 2000, 3000, 3125 MHz, or even 4.5 GHz, briefly, which will instantly spike temps until the task is complete, then settle back down to typcial ideal temps of 33-36C at 800 MHz, etc.. (At least, such is my own 7700K processor's behavior on my Asus mainboard)

Stuttering, I'd be looking for anything obviously eating up CPU resources in task manager, even a potential malware/crypto-mining malware add-on...

If it's just a mysterious bad update/patch gone bad, a delete partitions/reinstall from scratch will take care of it..

Hwinfo64 is a way better program to use than HWmonitor.

Reactions: The Reaper Wolf
Sep 24, 2019
Kind of something else to rule out; might check for whether your HDD/SSD is going bad. Not very common on SSD's but HDD's i run into frequently having issues. You can test for that with SMART data by using a free utility Acronis Drive Monitor. I've run into thinking it's one thing and chasing the problem i think it could be, and turns out to be something else. Might be OK but never hurts to rule it out.

Solution

The Reaper Wolf

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
Is that bad? Windows is installed on the Samsung. https://ibb.co/r6rmsqf

Sep 24, 2019
If your system drive is failing you can have all sorts of symptoms with performance. SSD's today are not as susceptible to failing compared to typical desktop HDD's. But it can happen. If it is failing the performance symptoms get worse and eventually can lead to any data being unrecoverable. Like i stated earlier download Acronis drive monitor. https://www.majorgeeks.com/files/details/acronis_drive_monitor.html

Sep 24, 2019
I would definitely back the data up from the failing drive and replace. HDD's are pretty expensive. One of those "sooner rather than later" or you could lose everything you have on that drive.

The Reaper Wolf

Reputable
Jun 10, 2016
One drive going bad at 5% health and two others are 100% full...take your pick on which issue is causing the stuttering...but both are bad news.
I have done somethings with uninstalling my drivers and IDK if it's fixed but it hasn't done it today, so I'm hopeful something was just acting weird. And yeah when I get my next paycheck I'll get a replacement drive. :)

Vic 40

Titan
Ambassador
You could just disconnect the bad drive and see how it will work after that,just take the sata cable out of it (do it with pc powered off). Actually can't think why a secondary drive will cause such stuttering since windows is on another drive,but maybe data is being accessed on that bad drive.

You talked about reinstalling windows,but the way you explain does it more sound like a reset which isn't the same.

And for good measure,might think about reseating the cooler and use some fresh paste like Arctic MX4. Or check cpu Vcore voltages in the bios,may be too high for stock settings=~1.25V.