[SOLVED] Computer stutters shortly after starting a game

Aug 16, 2020
I'm helping a friend diagnose a really old laptop of his, from about 12 years ago. Whenever he starts up a game, for eg GTA Vice City, it'll play just fine for about 5 minutes, after which the system starts freezing with this buzzing sound from the speakers(likely the speakers hanging and replaying the same sound) and generally becomes unplayable. Otherwise, the game itself runs rather solidly at around 30fps.

Specifications are as follows:

Intel Core 2 Duo T7300 (Upgraded from a T5750 the laptop came with)
Onboard Intel 965 Chipset graphics
3GB of DDR2 Ram
Some WD Caviar 320GB HDD

Needless to say, not exactly an acceptable setup, but I think it holds some sentimental value for my friend so I'm trying my best to help him solve this issue.

I've run memtest86 (V4.7 I think since this laptop doesn't support the later versions requiring UEFI) and it returned no errors despite running it around 2-3 times. I'm beginning to think that the stuttering is heat related since the laptop does get pretty darn hot, and the fan doesn't sound as if it's ramping up (It does spin though).

I'm out of ideas at this point, so I'm turning to the forums to see if anyone might have some ideas here. If any other information is required do fire away. Thanks!

Solution
open hardware monitor
Please make sure you have the service manual or youtube video to disassemble it.
and also keep track of all the screws
or use the smartphone camera handy before and after assembly.
Don't want to miss any screw
don't use force on the plastic. the old one can break because of the heat-induced damages.

If it is hot and the fan noisy
you need to remove fan assembly of the CPU and remove the dust from the fin.
then buy some arctic silver and alcohol clean all the heat sink remove all the heatsink compound and
reapply the paste.
at the same time use the brush and clean out all the dust you see.

simonyeeklang

Distinguished
BANNED
Aug 22, 2011
open hardware monitor
Please make sure you have the service manual or youtube video to disassemble it.
and also keep track of all the screws
or use the smartphone camera handy before and after assembly.
Don't want to miss any screw
don't use force on the plastic. the old one can break because of the heat-induced damages.

If it is hot and the fan noisy
you need to remove fan assembly of the CPU and remove the dust from the fin.
then buy some arctic silver and alcohol clean all the heat sink remove all the heatsink compound and
reapply the paste.
at the same time use the brush and clean out all the dust you see.

Solution