Question Computer suddenly restarts during gameplay ?

Nov 25, 2021
As the title suggests, my computer does a sudden restart when I suspect the specific games push it harder than other games. I have looked at multiple other threads with similar problems but the more I troubleshoot the more dumbfounded I am.

To give some info here on my computer:
CPU: i7 7700k
GPU: 2080 Super
MOBO: STRIX Z270G Gaming
RAM: Corsair CMR16GX4M2C3600C18 DDR4
PSU: EVGA 1000 G3

The games I see sudden crashes in are Age of Empires 4, Total War: Warhammer 2, Jurassic World Evolution 2
Games I don't see crashes in: War Thunder, Iron Harvest, Destiny 2, Hades, Planet Zoo, Assassins Creed: Valhalla, Stellaris, etc.

Notable here though is that I played AoE 4 today without an crashes. The only thing different that I did was reapply thermal paste. Temperatures were brought down and were more consistent. Initially I had thought that this was a CPU overheat issue which was the reason for the reapplication of thermal paste. Other things I have done is open up the case and get a larger fan on the radiator that is cooling the CPU. Temps for the CPU seem to hover around 50-60 while in use, so that shouldn't be causing a thermal shutdown. I even ran a 3d bench mark test and the CPU got up into the high 60s and still nothing. That obviously also taxed the GPU and I saw nothing abnormal there in terms of temps (around 60c).

I also did some troubleshooting with the PSU, plugged it into a different outlet, checked for dust, etc. I don't think its the issue either though. My leading thought right now is that the GPU is pulling more power than is available or something? Which doesn't really make sense to me either considering its a 1k watt power supply and I would assume it would be causing restarts on all games rather than a select few. Additionally, and considering the games that cause the restart, they seem to be more CPU intensive rather than GPU, but that doesn't explain why it didn't restart during the benchmark then.

I have also looked extensively at the Windows logger, I am not terribly experience in reading it so I might be missing something, but as far as I can tell its not picking what is causing the restart. I see generally where it seems to restart following the generic booting logs that get generated and the log it generates where it reports that it was restarted improperly.

This has been an ongoing issue for quite some time, but as of recent seems to be getting more "aggressive". If I could point to where it began it was probably when I installed the 2080. However, as I have said, don't believe it to be causing the issue considering the other troubleshooting I have done.

At this point I am at a complete and utter loss as to what is causing the restart let alone how to fix it.

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS