Computer suddenly shut off midgame, now monitor and GPU aren't powering on

walroos

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Hello y'all, it's been a while since I've had to use this wonderful site but I've run into a problem.

Last night, I was playing some late night Subnautica, per usual, when suddenly my PC shut off. Now, it shut off when I stretched my legs, which led me to believe that I had simply just accidentally powered off my Power strip with my feet, but upon booting up my PC again, I noticed my monitor was still dark, with no lights at all.

This led me to believe something is wrong with my GPU, so I opened up my computer and after some tests, found that my GPU would power on correctly for 10 seconds, and then the fans would slowly reduce in speed until they were back off again. I am not sure what the problem is, I have unplugged the PCI/E connectors in and out to no avail, and even took out the GPU to dust and popped it back in just to have the same problem.

I really don't know what the problem would be in this case, if the GPU was fried wouldn't it just not turn on?

My pc specs are:

EVGA GTX 970 SSC
Intel Core i7 7700k 4.2ghz
CPU Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO
Western Blue digital 1TB HDD
MSI Z270 SLI PLUS LGA 1151 MOBO
Corsair CX500 Power supply
Asus VX238H Monitor
G.SKILL Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 288-Pin DDR4

Any help is appreciated!

walroos

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

I've connected the VGA cable to the mobo slot instead of the GPU slot and the monitor still isn't being powered on, but the entire PC other than the display is powering fine

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

removing the GTX from the system will force the motherboard to use the iGPU and remove load from the power supply.
my theory is the PSU cannot handle the load of the entire system. removing the card will test that.

walroos

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

Alright so I switched the outlet the Monitor was connected to and yes, I now have display but through the iGPU, does that mean its the PSU?

R_1

Expert
Ambassador

it means you need either a known working GPU or a known good PSU for further testing. both are suspect, either the PSU cannot handle the load or the GPU will not work if powered.
from the entire system, down to two questionable parts.

walroos

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014

That is also my suspicion, I am borrowing a PSU from a friend to test out, I will update you with what happens later. Thank you man!

walroos

Reputable
Nov 22, 2014
Well I feel like a monumental idiot. Turns out I never had a problem to begin with. The monitor not turning on had nothign to do with the GPU, simply the outlet itself. The GPU fans aren't supposed to turn on until they reach 60 C, since it uses ACX 2.0. Now I Feel like a bonon