Question Computer suddenly turned off and won't boot up again

Sep 26, 2019
So, my computer randomly turned off while i was playing a (not very demanding) game and now it won't boot up again. When i try turning it on all the fans (Power supply, graphics card, cpu cooler) spin and the LED on the motherboard lights up as always, but that's it, it just won't boot.
I don't think that it's a problem with the screen, because the mouse and keyboard aren't lightning up either, like they usually do when i turn on my pc.
I have the suspicion that my CPU might be broken, but is there a way to tell for sure that the CPU is broken?

Yanitwei

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2016
I have the suspicion that my CPU might be broken, but is there a way to tell for sure that the CPU is broken?
There should be a speaker in your system that will beep in some sequence and tell us where could be a problem.
Does it make some beeps at power on ?

Make sure video cable is plugged in correctly on both ends.

Try to disassemble your system,
Firstly take out the graphics card, plug in the video cable to motherboard instead and try to power on again,
if you have other PCI cards take them out one by one also,

if nothing helps plug out sata cables and everything else from motherboard, only left one stick of ram, cpu and psu let's see if it will power on like this.

P.S. don't forget what goes where!

Sep 26, 2019
There should be a speaker in your system that will beep in some sequence and tell us where could be a problem.
Does it make some beeps at power on ?

Make sure video cable is plugged in correctly on both ends.

Try to disassemble your system,
Firstly take out the graphics card, plug in the video cable to motherboard instead and try to power on again,
if you have other PCI cards take them out one by one also,

if nothing helps plug out sata cables and everything else from motherboard, only left one stick of ram, cpu and psu let's see if it will power on like this.

P.S. don't forget what goes where!
Ok, so I tried that but it just does the same as before. Also, if it wasn't clear before, I'm not even able to get to the BIOS, it just says no signal on my screen.

Yanitwei

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2016
Let's see, make sure your motherboard has such speaker on bottom left or right corner.
08ae334954135b4247f5664e2e5616eb76d4e681_large.jpg

plug out both ram sticks and and fire up PC, if the BIOS is starting it should determine there's no ram and beep in sequence.
So that we will know BIOS is starting

Sep 26, 2019
Let's see, make sure your motherboard has such speaker on bottom left or right corner.
08ae334954135b4247f5664e2e5616eb76d4e681_large.jpg

plug out both ram sticks and and fire up PC, if the BIOS is starting it should determine there's no ram and beep in sequence.
So that we will know BIOS is starting
as far as I can tell, there's no speaker

Sep 26, 2019
Do any of the following motherboard LEDs stay on when you try to power on?
red - cpu
green - boot
white - vga
yellow/orange - ram

How many storage drives do you have? I ask, because what you're experiencing may be related to this: https://www.techpowerup.com/forums/...tstorm-gold-sfx-500w-with-big-problem.223278/
i have 2 SSDs, I installed the second one about a week ago. But i already tried booting with the drives disconnected so i doubt that that's the problem.
Also, there is a red LED that is on, but all the lights on the motherboard are red, so I'm not sure if thats actually a indicator for anything.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
1)The motherboard has 4 system LEDs near the top-right corner, just above the 24-pin mobo power connection, so look there.

2)I was not implying that the drives were the problem, but IF it was like the issue in the link I posted - the power supply killed their storage drives because of poor quality control.

Sep 26, 2019
1)The motherboard has 4 system LEDs near the top-right corner, just above the 24-pin mobo power connection, so look there.

2)I was not implying that the drives were the problem, but IF it was like the issue in the link I posted - the power supply killed their storage drives because of poor quality control.
I can't find any of these LEDs, theyre not anywhere in the manual either.
Also, normally, my keyboard and mouse normally immediately light up when i power up my pc, but that doesn't happen now, so i don't think that it's a problem with the drives

Sep 26, 2019
I can't find any of these LEDs, theyre not anywhere in the manual either.
Also, normally, my keyboard and mouse normally immediately light up when i power up my pc, but that doesn't happen now, so i don't think that it's a problem with the drives
Ok, sorry I found the LEDs and i noticed that the VGA LED ist the only LED that keeps lightning up after i start the PC.

Sep 26, 2019
Ok, sorry I found the LEDs and i noticed that the VGA LED ist the only LED that keeps lightning up after i start the PC.
OK, so, I disconnected the graphics card, only left one RAM stick in and disconnected the SATA cables. At least the VGA LED isn't lighting up anymore, but it's still not booting. Now the CPU LED is blinking.
I also tried booting it with my old CPU but that didnt work either. I really don't know what to do now.

Phaaze88

Titan
Ambassador
Sep 26, 2019
So according to that, there's a problem revolving around the gpu. What's the rest of your specs?
We already know the psu: https://en.sharkoon.com/product/1681/SilStorSFXGold#specs
And the motherboard: https://www.asus.com/us/Motherboards/Z170-PRO-GAMING/
-Cpu
-Gpu
-Memory kit
-Number of storage drives and the brand
Correction - it's a Z170i, the smaller version of the Z170
other specs are:
CPU: Intel i5-7500
GPU: XFX RX 480 8 GB
Memory: 2 Corsair ValueSelect 8 GB sticks
SSDs: 1 Samsung 860 Evo 500 GB and 1 SanDisk SSD Plus 480 GB

Sep 26, 2019
Try to clear CMOS. There are 2 methods posted here: https://www.asus.com/us/support/FAQ/1040820 (the jumper cap and the battery)
If the jumper cap method doesn't change anything, then try the battery one.
I did that multiple times and i could notice a ~1 second pause in the fans spinning each time i did it but it changed nothing.
Also, the CPU LED isn't blinking anymore but the VRAM LED is now permanently on. I tried booting with only one RAM stick in every possible combination (with each stick on both sloths) but it didnt change anything either.