Question Computer suddenly turned off, won't boot, the fans twitch and motherboard light blinks ?

atikulemon

Reputable
Feb 9, 2019
My pc is from the ancient times but was working perfectly, then suddenly turned off. Now when I try to turn it on pressing the button for 5 s, its motherboard and power button light blinks once and cpu fan, case fan, psu fan twitches. Same symptoms occur with switching out ram sticks. Now when I remove the 2x2 4-pin ATX 12V connector from the motherboard and try to trun it on, the lights and fans turn on for like 1s and turns off and again, turns on and off for like 3 times with or without holding the power button after first press.

Now, removing the core with the 2x2 4 pin ATX 12V plugged in the motherboard, the same symptoms show with the core and the 4 pin plugged in. But removing the core and 2x2 4 pin ATX 12V not plugged in, system shows no sign of life.

Tried cmos reset, ram sticks out, removing other power sectors except motherboard even the gpu, nothing new.
So where do you think the problem is. The core, psu, motherboard? Should I try another processor to see if it's a processor problem?

Specs (ancient but it's all I got) :
Motherboard : Gigabyte H55M-S2H rev 1.1
CPU: Core: i3-530
GPU: GT1030
RAM: 6 gb ddr3 (4+2)
PSU : 500W

Phillip Corcoran

Titan
You've done well to get 11 years life from a cheap, low quality PSU with a brand-name I've never heard of.
My guess is it's come to the end of it's life.

You need to replace it, but I'd get one that's better quality if you can afford it.

atikulemon

Reputable
Feb 9, 2019
You've done well to get 11 years life from a cheap, low quality PSU with a brand-name I've never heard of.
My guess is it's come to the end of it's life.

You need to replace it, but I'd get one that's better quality if you can afford it.
So it's the PSU rather than the processor. Thanks, I thought it was the processor because of the fan twitch.

atikulemon

Reputable
Feb 9, 2019
Ok, the problem was the processor, only had to get a new one, but dad broke motherboard pins accidentally. So got a new mobo n processor. Working now ig.

ASK THE COMMUNITY