Computer suddently turns off as if losing power

lucasems

Reputable
Aug 27, 2018
I've been having issues with my PC for the past few days. Its turning off randomly, with no error message, no BSOD, no nothing. Its like the power was shut off and it just turns off immediatly, the only clue i have is a "Kernel power" error in the event log. It happens randomly after turning it on, from 10 minutes of use to one hour, doesn't matter if its just idling, on the internet or playing a game. I've tried the following things and i couldn't fix it :

-Its not the PSU. This was my first guess and i was so sure that i went out and bought another one. Alas, the problem persisted.
-Its not overheating. I'm monitoring temperatures and they are regular across the board
-Its not the RAM. I ran memtest overnight and it resulted in no errors.
-Its not an overclocking issue, as i don't overclock anything.
-Its not a driver issue, all my drivers are up to date.
-Its not dirt, my machine was cleaned yesterday.
-Its not a faulty power line, i changed that to try it out
-Its not the GPU`, i tested it on another PC and it works fine.

My final guess is the motherboard, but when i searched for similar failiures tied to the motherboard users reported bloated capacitors which i don't presently have. I'm at my wit's end here and i just don't know what else could be wrong.

My setup is the following:
Operating System
Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
CPU
Intel Core i7 3770 @ 3.40GHz 47 °C
Ivy Bridge 22nm Technology
RAM
16,0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (10-10-10-30)
Motherboard
ASUSTeK COMPUTER INC. P8B75-M LE (LGA1155) 33 °C
Graphics
LG ULTRAWIDE (2560x1080@59Hz)
4095MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 (Gigabyte) 46 °C
Storage
1863GB Seagate ST2000DM001-1ER164 ATA Device (SATA ) 31 °C
111GB KINGSTON SUV300S37A120G ATA Device (SATA-2 (SSD)) 34 °C
Optical Drives
HL-DT-ST DVDRAM GH24NSC0 ATA Device
Audio
Dispositivo de High Definition Audio

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Solution
If your system is randomly powering off and you ruled out the PSU then is your motherboard.
Your Asus motherboard uses solid capacitors you won't see any blown, or bulging capacitors, even if they are not working properly.
Also motherboards could develop small cracks that when expanding it could cause the system to power off.

If your system is randomly powering off and you ruled out the PSU then is your motherboard.
Your Asus motherboard uses solid capacitors you won't see any blown, or bulging capacitors, even if they are not working properly.
Also motherboards could develop small cracks that when expanding it could cause the system to power off.

Reactions: lucasems
Solution

lucasems

Reputable
Aug 27, 2018

Yeah, i think you're right. I'll head back to the store tomorrow and run some MoBo tests.