[SOLVED] Computer swap

cyberwasp

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2013
It's been a long time since I've worked on a PC so here goes my question.

My friend has an old hp 2 core dinosaur That I installed one of Samsungs first 500gb ssd's into, "can't recall model." At the time I tried there "magician" software to clone the hdd drive so we didn't have to install windows and her programs. Well it didn't work.

Any chance that by now they may have a working version. I'd like to connect the new 860 onto her usb, run the magician and than swap drives. Any chance of that!

PS. If it does work I'd also like to put her new SSD and data drive into an old 6 core 3.7ghs hp I have here collecting dust. is it possible to transfer her license to the 6 core? TIA

Solution
...My friend has an old hp 2 core dinosaur That I installed one of Samsungs first 500gb ssd's into, "can't recall model." At the time I tried there "magician" software to clone the hdd drive so we didn't have to install windows and her programs. Well it didn't work.
Samsung Magician has other purposes, it's not a cloning software.
To clone a Samsung disk you need Samsung Data Migration software which is designed to migrate data from one storage device (e.g. HDD) to another (e.g Samsung SSD.)
Make sure to disable antivirus or any running software that could interfere with the cloning process.

PS. If it does work I'd also like to put her new SSD and data drive into an old 6 core 3.7ghs hp I have here collecting dust. is...
...My friend has an old hp 2 core dinosaur That I installed one of Samsungs first 500gb ssd's into, "can't recall model." At the time I tried there "magician" software to clone the hdd drive so we didn't have to install windows and her programs. Well it didn't work.
Samsung Magician has other purposes, it's not a cloning software.
To clone a Samsung disk you need Samsung Data Migration software which is designed to migrate data from one storage device (e.g. HDD) to another (e.g Samsung SSD.)
Make sure to disable antivirus or any running software that could interfere with the cloning process.

PS. If it does work I'd also like to put her new SSD and data drive into an old 6 core 3.7ghs hp I have here collecting dust. is it possible to transfer her license to the 6 core? TIA
In that situation it's recommended to perform a clean installation.
You will be moving a Windows that was configured for a very different system. Drivers and settings from one system will conflict with the other.
If you have a digital licence you might be able to use it after performing a clean installation.

Reactions: cyberwasp
Solution