Question Computer System failing to boot after multiple hardware changes

Deptty

Honorable
Mar 8, 2016
Hi,

So a few weeks ago my computer powered off on me, it completely shut down and lost all power, and completely refused to turn on. I assumed it was electrical related and decided to purchase a new power supply, I fitted this, nothing. I purchased a second-hand motherboard, nothing. Finally today I decided to purchase a second-hand CPU, and still nothing. I've taken all the parts out numerous times and have used a process of elimination to try and gauge the problem, for example taking the memory out stick by stick, and removing the GPU, etc. But still no power. I've only got the power cord plugged in and there are lights on the motherboard when I turn the supply from 'off' to 'on'. The fans on my GPU spin for a split second, then nothing again. My motherboard has a 'Start' switch which I'm using to power it on, so it can't be related to the case. I have wiggled and checked all the cables multiple times.

I'm thinking it could be a few things, possibly one of the refurbished parts I bought is faulty, the cables are somehow plugged in wrong (which I'm 99% sure they aren't) or a cable is potentially missing that came with my new PSU that I haven't installed, but it's semi-modular so I can't see why it would be this.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated as I'm completely lost.

Parts for reference:

Old power supply: Fractal Design Newton R3 600 W New power supply: EVGA Bq 650.
Old motherboard: ASUS Deluxe z170 New motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero VIII.
Old CPU: i7 6700k LGA1151 New CPU: i7 6700k LGA1151

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 980 4GB
Case: Fractal Design Define S

Hi,

So a few weeks ago my computer powered off on me, it completely shut down and lost all power, and completely refused to turn on. I assumed it was electrical related and decided to purchase a new power supply, I fitted this, nothing. I purchased a second-hand motherboard, nothing. Finally today I decided to purchase a second-hand CPU, and still nothing. I've taken all the parts out numerous times and have used a process of elimination to try and gauge the problem, for example taking the memory out stick by stick, and removing the GPU, etc. But still no power. I've only got the power cord plugged in and there are lights on the motherboard when I turn the supply from 'off' to 'on'. The fans on my GPU spin for a split second, then nothing again. My motherboard has a 'Start' switch which I'm using to power it on, so it can't be related to the case. I have wiggled and checked all the cables multiple times.

I'm thinking it could be a few things, possibly one of the refurbished parts I bought is faulty, the cables are somehow plugged in wrong (which I'm 99% sure they aren't) or a cable is potentially missing that came with my new PSU that I haven't installed, but it's semi-modular so I can't see why it would be this.

If anyone has any ideas or suggestions, that would be greatly appreciated as I'm completely lost.

Parts for reference:

Old power supply: Fractal Design Newton R3 600 W New power supply: EVGA Bq 650.
Old motherboard: ASUS Deluxe z170 New motherboard: ASUS Maximus Hero VIII.
Old CPU: i7 6700k LGA1151 New CPU: i7 6700k LGA1151

Memory: Kingston HyperX Fury 32GB
GPU: Gigabyte Windforce 980 4GB
Case: Fractal Design Define S
Before testing using other PSU, could you get it to boot on igpu only? also try to clean the ram contacts with isopropyl alcohol and use 1 ram at the moment (slot 2 or 4) and try if you could get boot using igpu.

Deptty

Honorable
Mar 8, 2016
Before testing using other PSU, could you get it to boot on igpu only? also try to clean the ram contacts with isopropyl alcohol and use 1 ram at the moment (slot 2 or 4) and try if you could get boot using igpu.

Thanks for the reply, I have tried this and still nothing. Computer still refuses to power on without the GPU, and the same for the RAM. I've tried different sticks in different slots and nothing.

Thanks for the reply, I have tried this and still nothing. Computer still refuses to power on without the GPU, and the same for the RAM. I've tried different sticks in different slots and nothing.
what about using another psu? To be clear, is the motherboard wont power with new cpu and mobo if you short the power switch/push the power button? did you already test the motherboard and cpu bare bone (on top of box)?

Last edited:

Deptty

Honorable
Mar 8, 2016
what about using another psu? To be clear, it the motherboard wont power with new cpu and mobo if you short the power switch/push the power button? did you already test the motherboard and cpu bare bone (on top of box)?
I just tested it barebone and it worked! Turns out it was the case, I never suspected it would be..