Question Computer system is making "Dog-whistle" noise from GPU area

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Apr 4, 2022
Hello forum,

I built my buddy's computer a couple years ago and have been his personal tech support for a while now. I've also given him hand-me-down parts that I no longer needed and have installed them for him.

Over time, he has been having a handful of strange issues and complaints with the system, one of which are strange noises. He claims that there is a dog-whistle tone coming from his GPU while under load, and he isn't convinced that it is coil whine.

Another problem he has been having is experiencing lag-spikes while gaming. I have been trying to fine-tune his system, and to no avail, none of it seems to improve his performance.

I would appreciate any help from the true professionals here, I really am still learning, but I am determined to get better at this. Thank you.

Specs:
CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700X
GPU: Nvidia RTX 3070Ti
RAM: 16GB DDR4 @ 3200MHz
Motherboard: B450 Aorus Pro Wifi
PSU: 750W Thermaltake SMART Non-Modular

Apr 4, 2022
Use MSI Afterburner or similar to undervolt the gpu 0.05v or even 0.1v, if that doesn't work, OC the gpu, change memory and power limits and clock speeds. Doesn't have to be by much, just has to be. What you are looking to do is change the frequency associated with those inductors.
Thanks, gonna give this a go as soon as I'm able to.
Every truly listen to someone sing? They'll hit a whole range of notes, but somewhere in there they seem to hit just the right note and really belt it out. That's their resonant note. What you are looking to do is dampen that 1 note, and doing so by changing the key the inductor sings in.
This is a good analogy!

TRENDING THREADS