[SOLVED] Computer take 3 attempts to boot and no video

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Hi, so ive been trying to fit a new PSU which i got recommended to buy for my new part (RTX 2060 super) i got the psu first as still waiting for the GPU to be delivered, so i thought to put the new psu in for now. So after rebuilding everything , my pc now attempts to boot 3 times turning off almost instantly 2 times only on 3rd its on constant. But i get no video either.
I think i have found my problem, and that is that my cpu isnt actually supported by the motherboard (stupid mistake) wanna see if that could be the case
PC build is,
Motherboard: Msi z390-a pro
CPU: i5 6600k
Gpu: Amd radeon R280 (will be replaced)
Psu: corsair VS650
Ram: 16gb 2x8 corsair

Solution
Yeah i thought that was the case when i checkEd after it arrived , didnt think that Gen wouldve matter as its same chip set. What was supposed to be just a video card upgrade ended up being full computer upgrade 😂, and you think that PSU would not be enough? To run all that, cause im gonna get i7 9700k to go with the motherboard
Yes, it's a bad quality PSU. The Corsair VS series is meant for low power consumption office PC's, or at best a low level gaming PC. You have a much more powerful PC, and hence should have a better PSU. If you can, get a high quality PSU with a 10 year warranty, like I said 650 W is enough for you. A Corsair RM650x, or a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650 W, and if you cannot spend that much, then a Corsair...
Hi, so ive been trying to fit a new PSU which i got recommended to buy for my new part (RTX 2060 super) i got the psu first as still waiting for the GPU to be delivered, so i thought to put the new psu in for now. So after rebuilding everything , my pc now attempts to boot 3 times turning off almost instantly 2 times only on 3rd its on constant. But i get no video either.
I think i have found my problem, and that is that my cpu isnt actually supported by the motherboard (stupid mistake) wanna see if that could be the case
PC build is,
Motherboard: Msi z390-a pro
CPU: i5 6600k
Gpu: Amd radeon R280 (will be replaced)
Psu: corsair VS650
Ram: 16gb 2x8 corsair
Yes, your CPU is not supported by that motherboard - you can run an 8th gen or 9th gen CPU on that motherboard. Also, your PSU is severely inadequate for your specs, and I suggest you get something higher quality. A Corsair CX650 would be the minimum I would recommend, better quality if you can afford it.

Reactions: iliusa321

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Yes, your CPU is not supported by that motherboard - you can run an 8th gen or 9th gen CPU on that motherboard. Also, your PSU is severely inadequate for your specs, and I suggest you get something higher quality. A Corsair CX650 would be the minimum I would recommend, better quality if you can afford it.
Yeah i thought that was the case when i checkEd after it arrived , didnt think that Gen wouldve matter as its same chip set. What was supposed to be just a video card upgrade ended up being full computer upgrade 😂, and you think that PSU would not be enough? To run all that, cause im gonna get i7 9700k to go with the motherboard

Yes, it's a bad quality PSU. The Corsair VS series is meant for low power consumption office PC's, or at best a low level gaming PC. You have a much more powerful PC, and hence should have a better PSU. If you can, get a high quality PSU with a 10 year warranty, like I said 650 W is enough for you. A Corsair RM650x, or a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650 W, and if you cannot spend that much, then a Corsair CX650 would be the minimum I would recommend, and a Corsair TX650M will give you gold certification for cheaper than an RM650x.

If none of those are viable choices, consult this PSU Tier list: PSU Tier List 4.0 - Cases and Power Supplies - Linus Tech Tips , and get a PSU in Tier S, A+, A, A- or B+. Don't go below the B+ Tier. You might also notice that the VS unit you have (which I optimistically assume to be the 2017 version) is in Tier C, recommended for office PC's or entry level gaming. Avoid it.

Solution

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Yes, it's a bad quality PSU. The Corsair VS series is meant for low power consumption office PC's, or at best a low level gaming PC. You have a much more powerful PC, and hence should have a better PSU. If you can, get a high quality PSU with a 10 year warranty, like I said 650 W is enough for you. A Corsair RM650x, or a Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 650 W, and if you cannot spend that much, then a Corsair CX650 would be the minimum I would recommend, and a Corsair TX650M will give you gold certification for cheaper than an RM650x.

If none of those are viable choices, consult this PSU Tier list: PSU Tier List 4.0 - Cases and Power Supplies - Linus Tech Tips , and get a PSU in Tier S, A+, A, A- or B+. Don't go below the B+ Tier. You might also notice that the VS unit you have (which I optimistically assume to be the 2017 version) is in Tier C, recommended for office PC's or entry level gaming. Avoid it.

Corsair VS650 650 W Active PFC 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply Unit - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078Y32P1W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ojNXEb0BJ0CFR

this is the one i currently have not sure what year it is , but its fine i can return that, get money back and get the seasonsonic one that you have said. And hope it lasts me a long time

Corsair VS650 650 W Active PFC 80 PLUS Certified Power Supply Unit - Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B078Y32P1W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ojNXEb0BJ0CFR

this is the one i currently have not sure what year it is , but its fine i can return that, get money back and get the seasonsonic one that you have said. And hope it lasts me a long time

Yeah, that's the 2017 version.

This is the one I recommended from Seasonic: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...fied-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-ssr-650fx

The Corsair RM650x: https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...-fully-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020178-na

Corsair CX650 (avoid unless you are on budget) : https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...onze-certified-atx-power-supply-cp-9020122-na

Corsair TX650M (decent unit, not as good as first two): https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/product...d-semi-modular-atx-power-supply-cp-9020132-na

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Sorry to be a pain but on that pcpartpicker it doesnt seem to have any links to where to buy from, i found this on amazon but i dont think its exactly the same

Seasonic Focus GX 650W Power Supply, Full Modular, 80 Plus Gold, 90% Efficiency, Cable-Free Connection, Hybrid Silent Fan Control, 10 Years Warranty, Power and Performance | Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077J9QTDR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ea7XEbAN3F686

Sorry to be a pain but on that pcpartpicker it doesnt seem to have any links to where to buy from, i found this on amazon but i dont think its exactly the same

Seasonic Focus GX 650W Power Supply, Full Modular, 80 Plus Gold, 90% Efficiency, Cable-Free Connection, Hybrid Silent Fan Control, 10 Years Warranty, Power and Performance | Black https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B077J9QTDR/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_ea7XEbAN3F686
Yeah, that's a good PSU as well, it falls in the Tier A of the tier list, recommended for high-end gaming systems below 650 watts, so you're good to go with that as well.

iliusa321

Honorable
Jan 11, 2015
Yeah, that's a good PSU as well, it falls in the Tier A of the tier list, recommended for high-end gaming systems below 650 watts, so you're good to go with that as well.
I found a website that sells the Rm650x so ill just go for that, if you recommend that over the one i linked before. Just want to get something proper 😂