Computer Takes 5 Minutes to Boot with Ez Debug light pointing to graphics card

sam_578

Prominent
May 24, 2017
Yesterday morning I attempted to add a new hard drive to my PC. After I did that and I tried to boot the computer, the screen was black and when I looked at my motherboard the Ez Debug LED said it was a graphics card error. I have spent all of today and yesterday trying to fix it, and I kind of have, but there's one problem: the computer now takes about five minutes to boot, and for the whole time it keeps the LED on. When it does eventually turn on, it works completely normal. What should I do? Keep in mind that the hard drive that I tried to add is not in the computer right now. (Before all of this happened, the computer would boot in around 20 seconds.)

The things I did to fix the problem, I pretty much followed this list: http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/261145-31-perform-steps-posting-post-boot-video-problems

I think what worked was resetting the BIOS.

My parts list:
Intel - Core i5-7600K 3.8GHz Quad-Core Processor
CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler
Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste
MSI - Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Corsair - Vengeance LPX 16GB (1 x 16GB) DDR4-3000 Memory
SanDisk - SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive
Seagate - Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
EVGA - GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6GB SC GAMING Video Card
Lite-On - iHAS124-14 DVD/CD Writer
Corsair CX550M

Note: sorry if this is the wrong place

Solution
Is the new drive being used just for data storage or game files? If so, I'd run a partition management application and make sure there are no "hidden" partitions on the drive, where the boot partition for a previous OS installation might have been. A lot of times people format the visible partition on a drive and then install it in the system thinking it will be "clean" and then run into problems where the bios sees that boot partition in addition to the one on your primary boot drive and gets confused or even boots off the secondary drives boot partition, which can cause all kinds of issues, or none.

As to the PSU, I'd download and install HWinfo, no other utility, install it and run "sensors only" option. Download and run Prime95...
Is this actually a "new" drive, or is it a drive that previously had an operating system installed on it on this or another computer?

How old is that CX550m?

Have you tried resetting the bios to defaults and then reconfiguring any custom settings in the bios, to see if rebuilding the boot partition table information fixes the problem?

Have you tried removing and reseating the graphics card? Unplugged and replugged the power cables to the graphics card?

sam_578

Prominent
May 24, 2017

The CX550M is a little less than a year old. The drive was advertised as a new drive that I got off of Amazon. Is it possible that it's not actually new? Yes, I reseated the graphics card. I'll try the bios thing right now and leave an update in a little while. Thanks for your help!

Is the new drive being used just for data storage or game files? If so, I'd run a partition management application and make sure there are no "hidden" partitions on the drive, where the boot partition for a previous OS installation might have been. A lot of times people format the visible partition on a drive and then install it in the system thinking it will be "clean" and then run into problems where the bios sees that boot partition in addition to the one on your primary boot drive and gets confused or even boots off the secondary drives boot partition, which can cause all kinds of issues, or none.

As to the PSU, I'd download and install HWinfo, no other utility, install it and run "sensors only" option. Download and run Prime95 version 26.6

http://windows-downloads-center.blogspot.com/2011/04/prime95-266.html

or Furmark, and then look at the system voltage values for 3v, 5v and 12v in the HWinfo sensors window to see what the listed values are. It's not a 100% accurate methodology but it usually tells a pretty fair picture of what the PSU is doing under load or at idle.

I would probably also recommend removing and reinstalling the memory modules. It is very easy when working inside the case to slightly nudge the memory and cause a variety of instability or no boot issues even with only minimal nudging of the memory. Especially if the memory wasn't really well, fully seated to begin with. Always worth trying. I've seen reseating the memory fix a lot of issues that looked clearly like something else after doing work inside the case on more threads than you would believe.

Solution