[SOLVED] Computer takes a while to boot up and freezes.

Anston06

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
My computer takes a while to boot up like 5 minutes. It used to only take 15 seconds. It also sometimes freezes soon after it booted up and I have to shut it down and turn it back on. I am wondering why.

Solution
D
It is actually normal that PCs slow down a bit, though 5 minutes is way too much to be usable.

Troubleshooting:

Check startup load is not excessive. 8GB of RAM are enough in most cases but are not a lot. Go under Task manager -> Startup and check what apps are enabled to launch and their incidence on performance. Installing apps usually turns computer startup slower as more processes are added at startup.
Check maintenance:
Clean up disks via the cleanup utility in windows
Defrag Hard disks (to be done after above step).

Let me know if anything helped. Consider also switching to SSD for the main partition if you are not currently using one.
D

Deleted member 1272431

It is actually normal that PCs slow down a bit, though 5 minutes is way too much to be usable.

Troubleshooting:

Check startup load is not excessive. 8GB of RAM are enough in most cases but are not a lot. Go under Task manager -> Startup and check what apps are enabled to launch and their incidence on performance. Installing apps usually turns computer startup slower as more processes are added at startup.
Check maintenance:
Clean up disks via the cleanup utility in windows
Defrag Hard disks (to be done after above step).

Let me know if anything helped. Consider also switching to SSD for the main partition if you are not currently using one.

Solution

Anston06

Reputable
Apr 21, 2020
Well it is doing better. It says, "Last boot time 90.1 seconds." in task manager, so it still took 1 1/2 minutes but thats way better than its worst. I remember when the last boot time said single digit numbers though. I have everything disabled except two things: my audio driver and Windows defender. I also have all the non Microsoft services disabled in msconfig except Steam. It doesn't work at all when it is disabled. I always optimize/trim my drive(I have an SSD) and clean it up using disk cleanup. They don't really help. I have an extra hard drive for storage. It is possible that could be disturbing the startup.