Question Computer takes almost 10 minutes to boot after a restart.

Oct 16, 2019
I have searched google but I can not fix this problem and it seems like my motherboard is broken. A couple months ago, my computer started taking a long time to boot up windows. This is what happens:

When I restart, my monitor goes black and displays HDMI no signal but my computer is on and the fans are going. After about 3-4 minutes of my monitor with a black screen (the LED power light is yellow on monitor), my monitor displays a black screen with "A2" on bottom right corner. The computer stays on this screen for like 6-7 minutes and I can't do anything. Finally after waiting the splash screen actually shows (DEL for MENU F12 to boot and MSI logo) and the computer starts windows like normal (windows logo with loading circle then I login).

At first I thought this was a windows problem so I removed windows from my ssd and tried linux. It still takes a long time to boot after restart even with different OS.

Then I tried taking out CMOS battery, reverting to older bios firmware, resetting bios to defaults, boot order with only my ssd an as option, unplugging my ssd completely, unplugging anything usb related (peripherals) but it still has not fixed the problem.

Is my motherboard just broken at this point?

I have an MSI H87-G43 motherboard. I know it is old and I have had this computer for a long time, but I am hoping there is a solution. Thanks.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
First thing would be to go to msi/downloads/drivers and get all the motherboard chipset drivers, pcie, audio, Lan, USB family, Intel management engine etc for your particular mobo. Don't get just the latest, you'll need to get 2-3 prior versions and install those first. Make sure to read the description as several will only be updates and not the full drivers. If the download is small size compared to the prior version, that's a dead giveaway. Install one set at a time, until all different varieties are finished.

Most of your boot issues look like they stem from driver conflicts, which are frequent especially in Lan/network drivers. Boot can freeze, constantly trying to resolve the conflict, failing, and finally just fail to load the driver and bypassing it. Or sometimes, if it's a necessary system driver, just freezes solid.