Question Computer takes many attempts to turn on when its been off for a while ?

Dadrian Daedalus

Distinguished
May 25, 2015
My pc's specs are as follows...

I5 10400 f
b460 md3h motherboard
8*2=16 gb 3200 mhz corsair ram
2+1 tb HDD
zotac 1060 6gb gpu
corsair txm 550 psu

The problem is when the machine has been off for a while ie more than 48 hrs it doesn't start in one go-i have to press the power button on the case atleast 3-4 times to make it work. And when the pc finally does boot up it power cycles once before booting into windows.

I have been very frustrated as i am not being able to determine what's causing the issue. Earlier this happened once in a while but now it occurs almost every time the pc has been off for a prolonged period. One day i had to press the power button around 7-8 times before the pc booted up properly, which was very odd to say the least.

Is there any issue with the psu? Or perhaps the motherboard? How can I determine whats causing thia?

Your advice would be much appreciated, thanks.

My pc's specs are as follows...

I5 10400 f
b460 md3h motherboard
8*2=16 gb 3200 mhz corsair ram
2+1 tb HDD
zotac 1060 6gb gpu
corsair txm 550 psu

The problem is when the machine has been off for a while ie more than 48 hrs it doesn't start in one go-i have to press the power button on the case atleast 3-4 times to make it work. And when the pc finally does boot up it power cycles once before booting into windows.

I have been very frustrated as i am not being able to determine what's causing the issue. Earlier this happened once in a while but now it occurs almost every time the pc has been off for a prolonged period. One day i had to press the power button around 7-8 times before the pc booted up properly, which was very odd to say the least.

Is there any issue with the psu? Or perhaps the motherboard? How can I determine whats causing thia?

Your advice would be much appreciated, thanks.
Hello

Your symptoms point to a busted capacitor on your PSU (but not certain)

Can you do the following:

Lend/steal/procure a loaner PSU and put it in you system (try to use a decent one with enough wattage)

test the pc and check if the issue persists, this will save you a TON of troubleshooting

Let us know how it went and we'll go from there