Computer temperature control

Polarbear1284

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017
So I have had my gaming computer for a little over a year and I have recently noticed a increase in temperature. It reached 94c while playing a game, I figured that cant be good for it so I stopped until I was able to dust it (Haven't dusted since I built it). I noticed it go down to around 75c - 80c while playing games now (on ultra/max). I still think that's a little high but i'm not sure what else to do. I am using a intel i7-4790 with the stock fan in it (not sure if thats the problem) If anyone could give some tips or what to add to help it cool down that would be great, thanks

Solution
You should ensure proper case air flow; Intake and exhaust fans. 95C is not good though and is cause for concern. 75-80C is on the warm side of temps, but it won't exactly hurt anything. The stock fan/heatsink can be a bit under-matched for an i7. That's why they no longer include it with the K series CPUs. Something like the Cryorig H7 would get your CPU temps under control. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($32.49 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Total: $32.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-08 22:28 EDT-0400
You should ensure proper case air flow; Intake and exhaust fans. 95C is not good though and is cause for concern. 75-80C is on the warm side of temps, but it won't exactly hurt anything. The stock fan/heatsink can be a bit under-matched for an i7. That's why they no longer include it with the K series CPUs. Something like the Cryorig H7 would get your CPU temps under control. PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU Cooler: CRYORIG - H7 49.0 CFM CPU Cooler ($32.49 @ Newegg Marketplace)
Total: $32.49
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-08-08 22:28 EDT-0400

Solution

Polarbear1284

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017

My intake and exhaust fans seem to be running fine, Im assuming it would be the stock cpu cooler on it. To install that one dont you have to take off your entire motherboard?

Polarbear1284

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017

Not on the back of mine, would turning the motherboard over with the cpu inside damage it?

No it will not damage it. This video shows how to install the cooler, but don't forget thermal paste.

[video="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kNF-GHQthro"][/video]

Polarbear1284

Commendable
Aug 8, 2017

Ok, thanks for all the help