[SOLVED] Computer thermal shutdown in Windows 10 & Ubuntu but runs fine in DOS & BIOS

Jan 24, 2021
I have a Dell T3400, with Intel Xeon x3360, no overclock or anything. I know it is old but it is still a solid build fine computer. It recently developed this issue of thermal shutdown during the boot process of Windows 10 or Ubuntu. The machine basically turn itself off during the boot process. Then on the following boot, the BIOS displays an error message stating that computer was shutdown last time due to a thermal event.

The weird thing is, the computer runs fine in DOS and the BIOS diagnosis which runs for hours perfectly fine without showing any issues or displaying any error. I know this may because they use much less CPU power.

But I checked and applied new thermal paste. The CPU heat sink is clean, never hot or even warm to the touch. The fan is clean and never kick in to higher speed either.

What other possible cause of the thermal shutdown? What is the best way to diagnose it given that I cannot getting into Windows or Ubuntu...
Can you enlighten me from your abundant experience?

Thank you very much in advance.
Regards.

Jan 24, 2021
Unfortunately, there is no shutdown temperature in the BIOS. I just checked again.

It also had a "CPU 0 : General Protection Exception Occurred" error with higher version of BIOS as described in the Dell community post below. I downgraded it to A08 which solved the issue. But it was running BIOS ver. A14 perfectly fine before. Not sure if that gives any hint.

Could it be the CPU is indeed having issues?

Link to CPU General protection exception error:
https://www.dell.com/community/Desk...Precision-T3400-BIOS-A11-problem/td-p/3669470

Last edited:
Jan 24, 2021
Some more details about the system.
#1 There are a few bad capacitors on the mother board, bulged top and yellow stuff oozing out. Particularly a few between two row of memories.
#2 I manually felted the CPU, Northern Bridge. CPU is definitely much cooler than the Northern bridge. North bridge is warm. But CPU feels cool.

Jan 24, 2021
Ok. I have an update here. I replaced all the bulging capacitors and now it booted into Ubuntu. I am replying this post from the machine as of now. The 4 core of the CPU are only at 32-40C degrees.

It seemed the capacitor indeed is the problem. Hope the fix holds.

Thank you to TerryLaze for promptly jump in to help.