Question Computer throttles to 100Mb

Sep 22, 2022
What I tried:
  • Test MacBook Pro ethernet to router and got +800Mb
  • Ethernet port out of wall. Have tested +500Mb coming out of port with an ethernet cable to MacBook Pro
  • Have used same ethernet cable and port on main computer
    • TP-Link 10/100/1000Mbps Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express Network Card (TG-3468) that throttles to 100Mbs
      • Already tried configuring the speed for 1Gbps Full Duplex still throttles to 100Mb
    • PRIME Z390-A ethernet port
      • Does not work when I configure to 1Gbps Full Duplex
      • Auto Negotiate throttles to 100Mb
I don't know what else to do to get over 100Mbps.

It does not work when you hard code it because the router is still running in auto and does not receive the signals it is expecting from your pc. Most times it just drops to 100mbps even if you set it to 1gbit. You always want to leave it on auto since you must change both ends and you can't change most routers.

This has to be a cable problem. Hopefully the patch cable to the wall. Cables that fail are very strange they will work on some machines and not others. I would buy a quality cat5e or cat6 if it is cheaper cable. Make sure it is pure copper (no cca) and has wire size 22-24 (no flat or thin cables).

If you think it is in the wall it will be a little more of a challenge. Good news is the wire itself is seldom the problem. Could be the keystone jack is slight damaged or a wire is not making proper contact. You could first cut off a very small amount of the wire and repunch them down. If you are very careful you can use a screwdriver but a punch down tool is what is used for many keystones. They do make keystone that do not need tools so you could buy one of those if you think the keystone is bad

Sep 22, 2022
Sorry I got a false positive, the signal coming out of the wall is only around 90Mbps.

Gonna test the cable in the wall to the router and the port.