Question Computer tower fails to shutdown

Vernol

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
I've got an odd problem where my computer will not completely shutdown after hitting the shutdown option on windows. The tower continues to remain on until I push and hold the power button, but it does turn off after that and turns back on just fine. Now the weird thing is that restarting my computer does work, but it shuts down for a few seconds, then powers back on rather than smoothly turning off and on as it used to do. Not sure if this is a hardware or issue with the BIOS/software, is there any way to narrow it down some? I'm running windows 7 and here is my build

PCPartPicker Part List

CPU: Intel Core i5-2500K 3.3 GHz Quad-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus 76.8 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($49.98 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock H77M Micro ATX LGA1155 Motherboard
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($72.64 @ Amazon)
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive ($239.00 @ B&H)
Storage: Western Digital BLACK SERIES 2 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($112.98 @ Amazon)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 1060 6GB 6 GB SC GAMING Video Card ($429.99 @ Amazon)
Case: NZXT Source 210 Elite ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: Rosewill Stallion 500 W ATX Power Supply
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224BB DVD/CD Writer

Last edited:

Ralston18

Titan
How long are you waiting?

Sometimes Windows is doing some "housecleaning" before shutting down.

For example: updates, backups, AV scans, maybe some forgotten utility in the background.

Or maybe some application is doing the same. Could be a corrupted app causing the problem.

Take a look in Task Manager>Startup to determine what is being launched at startup.

Likewise check what may be running before you shut down.

Give "sfc /scannow" a try.

Reference:

https://www.lifewire.com/how-to-use-sfc-scannow-to-repair-windows-system-files-2626161

Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Vernol

Honorable
Nov 27, 2016
Sorry for the long wait. I have tried waiting for up to 30 minutes, well over a normal time it would take to shut down and the tower continues running. I've also tried sfc /scannow as well as memtest and neither came up with any issues. I'm thinking this is likely a hardware issue, is there a way to narrow it down? It just seems very weird that it can shut off entirely during a restart, then turns back on normaly after a few seconds, but hitting the actual shut down option will shut down windows but the tower keeps running...