Question computer tries to boot, then immediately shuts down.

creichert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
mATX Motherboard: ASRock Z87M OC Formula
CPU: Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W

Hello All…
I have an old system that has worked well for a long time. Until now. I left for the Labor Day weekend, and the computer was working fine. I get back from the Labor Day weekend, and the computer no longer boots up. All it does is try to start, then it immediately stops
Quick Momentary Start / then Turn off

I’ve slaved in a working Hard Drive. Did not fix the problem
I’ve slaved in a working Power Supply. Did not fix the problem
I’ve switched over to the Backup BIOS “B”. Did not fix the problem
I’ve cleared CMOS multiple times. Did not fix the problem

I’m getting no fault code on the Dr. Debug display. However, I am seeing a small red LED that lights up, next to the Dr. Debug display, when it tries to boot, it tuns off when the system immediately shuts down.

I have read, in the owner’s manual, concerning Motherboard Beep Codes. This chart states that there is a Bad CPU with “No Beep” and “No Debug Code” …I do not have my customary beep, nor do I have a Dr. Debug Code.

Thoughts? Do you all think I actually have a bad CPU? Is there some way to test keeping in mind the computer does not power on / boot to run the DVD drive?

Thanks for the help

Have you tried removing the memory and placing it back in? Also if you have thermal paste, you could try removing the CPU and then reseating it. If you are in a humid environment it's possible the motherboard is damaged. If it's a very dry environment, static discharge could have damaged the motherboard.

creichert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
have not tried removing the memory, I can try that. I keep the house ac on so the humidity is not bad. Also, we did not have any storms here over the Labor Day weekend.
I looked at the price of the Haswell CPU i have, and was a little shocked they have not come down much in price for being around so long.
Maybe it's time I went to the Ryzen CPU...been thinking about that for awhile.

creichert

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2011
removed and replaced the memory, with no luck. replaced the CMOS and took out the GPU. At this point, I have a basic computer: MoBo, CPU, Hard drive, PSU
I know it's not the PSU or Hard drive.

TRENDING THREADS