[SOLVED] Computer turned off while playing video game

Exterminator1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014
Had a bit of a scare this morning .

Was Playing Fallout 76 on my PC and suddenly the computer just shut down. no warning at all. it tried turning it self back on but the fans would spin for a second and the lights would come on and immediately turn off. i tried turning it back on a again but eventually it would not turn on at all. removing the power cable from the computer for a couple mins and pluging it back in helped it turn itself back on for a second or so and then it would just turn off again. i let it sit unplugged for about a good ten minutes and plugged it back in. and everything seems to be working again.

I do want to mention after opening the computer up it was a bit dusty inside. Not seriously Bad. But enough for me to know better.

I went through the event viewer to see if anything popped up but i didn't see any but i saved them and can upload them if needed.

Just wondering if anyone has had this issue before? Just kinda concerned. I will say though the GPU does run hot when playing some games 70c to 80c. I RMA'd it back in august because the fans would kick up like crazy and they sent it back claiming it was fixed and it's been fine but recently it's been getting a bit loud again but it's not exceded 72c.

Computer Specs:

Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390i Aorus Pro Wifi

CPU: Intel I7 9700k {not overclocked}

Heatsink: Noctua NH-D15 Chroma Max

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 DRAM 3200MHz C16

SSD: ADATA XPG SX8200 Pro 1TB 3D NAND NVMe Gen3x4 PCIe M.2 2280 Solid State Drive

PSU: SilverStone Technology 700W,SFX-L

GPU: Gigabyte Geforce RTX 2080 Windforce

Case: Lian Li O11D Mini Snow White

Case Fans: 6x 140mm Arctic P14

Solution
The whole smaller case therefore smaller PSU and eveything crammed in makes airfow and ventilation inside those cases not as good as bigger some ones with good air flow. I undertand though sometimes it's a matter of PC taking up less space.

I also know what you mean by it being a hassle. Even installing something and getting it out can be a challenge with less room to work with.

The review I likned mentions "OPP failed to protect the PSU", "No inrush current protection" and "85 °C bulk cap" which all point to the fact that one of these days the PSU might just fail under pressure and it might not even be able to go quietly and protect components.

Don't know your budget but if your motherboard just need the one 4+4-pin EPS power...

Lutfij

Titan
I would point a finger at the PSU. How old is the unit? A system shutting off when taxed can be one of two things;
a| the PSU is incapable of delivering power to the entire system when under load
or
b| there's an overheating issue.

The temps you've stated about your GPU are well within boundaries and not concerning. Source a donor PSU from your friend or neighbor who owns a reliably built unit with at least 650W of power at the entire system's disposal.

What BIOS version are you operating with on your motherboard?

Reactions: Exterminator1

Exterminator1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014
Thanks for the Reply Lutfij!

The PSU is about 2 years old. and my current bios is the F7 version. i'm glad you said something because for the longest time there was the F8i version and i never updated to it since it was a BETA version. looking at the site now they have a Full Release of the F8 as of November 2021.

I don't have anyone i know that has a spare PSU at the moment but i'll monitor the situation and see. i went and updated the BIOS. supposedly there was a nasty security vulnerabilty with the previous so i just updated it to be on the safe side. thank you for your help!

Last edited:

Exterminator1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014
yeah i built the computer in late 2019. was trying for a mini itx build and to be quite honest it's been a hassle from day one. only reason i did not get a different one was by then covid hit and prices sky rocketed. by anychance is there any suitable replacement you would recommend? would like to keep it SFX to work with my current case but i can always change it if need be. thank you aswell Satan-IR!

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
The whole smaller case therefore smaller PSU and eveything crammed in makes airfow and ventilation inside those cases not as good as bigger some ones with good air flow. I undertand though sometimes it's a matter of PC taking up less space.

I also know what you mean by it being a hassle. Even installing something and getting it out can be a challenge with less room to work with.

The review I likned mentions "OPP failed to protect the PSU", "No inrush current protection" and "85 °C bulk cap" which all point to the fact that one of these days the PSU might just fail under pressure and it might not even be able to go quietly and protect components.

Don't know your budget but if your motherboard just need the one 4+4-pin EPS power connector the Seasonic Focus SGX 650W is a good SFX/L PSU, reviews here and here.

You might want to see input from others too.

Reactions: Exterminator1
Solution

Exterminator1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014
Really Appreciate the input Satan-IR! right now $200 USD would be my max. i'll look around. i definitely don't want to play around with my PSU blowing up and then i'll be screwed for awhile.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
No problem, glad to help. The Seasonic Focus SGX 650W is currently listed at $129 here and the 2021 model with 2 EPS 4+4-pin connections (which I don't think you need) is $142 here.

Both have 10 year warranty and they might have actually improved the unit to be even better in the newer model. I personally would get the newer one.

Exterminator1

Distinguished
Mar 7, 2014
Just wanted to finalize this. Friday night i tried playing WoW and it shut off completely again. this time though it would not even turn back on. Took your advice Satan-IR and ordered the power supply you recommended and received it really quick on Sunday. Put it in the computer and everything turned on just fine. as of today i have not had any issues (Knock on wood) thank you again.

Also a side note i reached out to silverstone about possible getting a new one since i assumed it was still under warranty. Was told since i purchased the PSU in 2019 it only qualified for a 3 year warranty. If you bought that same PSU in 2020 it has a 5 year warranty. So yeah take that for what it's worth. Thanks again to both Satan-IR and Lutfj

Reactions: Satan-IR