Computer turning off and on loop fix?

predemic

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
Hello all, earlier today I tripped on my desktop lan chord, which yanked my computer a few inches. My computer did not fall but immediately turned off. Now when I press the power button it will turn on for 1 second, turn off for 3, and does this cycle an infinite amount of times. I unplugged and replugged every chord and wire, checked my CPU (looks fine) and tried booting it with one stick of ram plugged in. I am very worried there is a big problem in this computer, so I would appreciate any answers or opinions. Thanks! (I can give specs if needed)

prateek320i

Honorable
Nov 24, 2017
Hi there predemic,
You can do one thing, try taking out you mobo out of case and boot with only CPU PSU monitor connected to MOBO.
Then add RAM in second try followed with keyboard mouse hdd etc. If it doesn’t boot in first case, maybe the LAN Port of MOBO has been compromised, although it rarely happens.

Let us know what result you got.

predemic

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017

Hello, thanks for the quick reply! I tried booting the computer with only essential components plugged in and it still had problems. The LAN port probably is not it, since the computers OS/Bios can't even load. Every light and component turns on for a split second before it is turned off again. It was not a serious fall and no chords were loosened In the process. I'm thinking it might be a PSU issue, and my old PSU does not have a chord that plug into my new mobo. The next thing would be to replace everything with my old components piece by piece and see where the problem lies, bit as of right now I'm set on PSU/mobo issue.

prateek320i

Honorable
Nov 24, 2017
The same happened with me, RAM SLOT, I ruined my RAM SLOT just by accident.
The pc was clicking on for 1 sec and then off for 3 sec exactly.
Tried another psu and ram, but confirmed it was a fault of mobo.
Can you borrow a mobo?
Since you cannot test a mobo by any software, moreover the bios isn’t showing up, so only we have got a thing to do is grap a mobo from friend.
Get you all components attached with friend’s mobo, if it boots successfully, then we are sure that mobo is culprit.

predemic

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017

I have an older mobo that I am trying now to put in. I will let you know if it solves the problem.

predemic

Prominent
Dec 10, 2017
PLEASE READ: Replaced motherboard and system works great now! For some reason one thing broke on the motherboard and the whole system is destroyed. Unfortunate, but I might be able to replace it. If you are having this problem and habe tries everything except the motherboard, that might be the issue.

prateek320i

Honorable
Nov 24, 2017
I tried it bro, it was about 4-5 months ago.
That’s why I was pretty much sure that MOBO was compromising in your case.
I do thing how a minor cause can ruin the whole mobo.
Well nice to hear that you can replace the same.
In my case, I wasn’t able to replace it, as MSI has 3 year warranty policy and mine was like 3 yrs 2-3 months old.
My bad. :(

TRENDING THREADS