Question Computer turning off and on unless I leave it off for a while.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Hi everyone. Per community guidelines here’s my computer specs.

i7-3770k
Rx 5500xt
Montech Century 80+ gold PSU
a-tech 16gb ddr3 ram 2x8 sticks @ 1666mhz
Asus p8z77v lx

So heres my problem. My computer refuses to start if I don’t leave it alone for about 20-60 mins. When I do turn it on I have about 30 seconds to fully boot into windows before it shuts off. In this time I can make it to the bios, (and usually have to because my MB won’t auto boot into my SSD due to the constant restarting.) If I make it to windows it’s completely fine and never once crashes or shuts off.

The things I have currently tried are the following:

1. Taking everything out, placing it on a test bench with the bare minimum, and try starting it. (This did not work.)

2. Trying a different PSU. (Still did not work and even tried with bare minimum.)

3. Trying lower clocked ram and less of it. I have also tried switching ram slots and running 1 stick.

I have no clue what the problem is and I’m pretty sure it’s not the PSU or RAM. Thank you for any help!

EDIT: One thing to note is sometimes when I cut it on I’ll get one blink from DRAM LED. It still starts when this happens, but I figured it may be a step in the right direction if it helps.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Unfortunately I don’t have a motherboard that supports either, although I have tried placing the i7-3770k in another mother and it recognized it and it booted to tell me it, it recognized it. The ram on the other hand I have no way of testing. I could try underclocking it or something if you think that’ll help.

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
The z77 mobs has 16gb of ram @ 1600 MHz. The other mobo I have doesn’t supoort 16gb or 1600mhz. It only supports low sandy bridge. It did not boot normally. On the other mobo It popped up showing my system specs and said the i7 was incompatible but DID recognize it. I believe the other mobo only supports 8 GB @ 1333 MHz. For context the other mobo I have is some crap HP board with limited bios options.

Last edited:

Bavardgaming

Prominent
Oct 20, 2020
Alright so at this point I have tried both sticks in single channel on the HP motherboard and it booted perfectly fine. I did a stress test I turned it on and off multiple times, left it there to see if it would turn off. But they handled it just fine and never once showed any signs of messing up.
You can still test each stick in the HP one at a time, it'll just run at the slower speed but it'll work for testing.