Computer turning off

notexactly

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016
Hi everyone,
I just built a PC and soon after i've put old HDDs in it, it started turning off. I also installed Asus drivers in the meantime. It's doing it constantly now, 4 5 6 minutes after i turn it on.
Errors that have been appearing are: Whea uncorrectable error, Clock watchdog timeout, driver IRQL not less or equal.
I tried installilng windows again but after turning off couple of times, it went all through the install process and when it was time to type the user name for the PC and stuff it started turning off again.

Pc components:
i7 6700k
hyper 212 evo
asus z170 pro gaming aura
Thermaltake smart 730w
hyperx fury 8gb 2666 ghz

Thanx

corb345

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
You said you put old hard drives in it. I'd start there. Checking if the Hard drives or failing if you can get it to stay on long enough. DiskCheckUp http://www.passmark.com/products/diskcheckup.htm
If you have another computer and an external encloser you can still scan the hard drive/drives with DiskCheckUp

If not I'd see about putting in new hard drives.

Was it doing it before you installed the ASUS drivers? If not then maybe start there and roll back or uninstall them.

notexactly

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016

It was working correctly before this. In the meantime i've put in a new HD. I can't do diskcheckup because the new installation obviously didn't go as it should so i'm not able to run all the things i should be. I even tried running the computer without the HDs, just with the main ssd but still nothing changed.

corb345

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
Can you get into safe mode?
If you can check device manager and see what it says.
Maybe try disconnecting your GPU and then booting it up.
Do you have spare RAM you could try and install and take out what you have?

Just brain storming.

notexactly

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016

I don't have a spare RAM unfortunately. I'm not able to go to device manager because it turns off pretty quickly. I don't have a GPU now, i'm using the onboard graphics for now.

notexactly

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016

I can't even go to safe mode because obviously the new installation of windows didn't finish correctly.

corb345

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
Oh ok. Sorry I miss understood.
If it's doing it even before you get Windows installed, makes me think it's hardware related.
Can you send components back as DOA for new ones? I know a pain in the .... but if you cant even get windows loaded, makes me think it's a RAM issue. If you have another PC make a bootable copy of MEMTEST and run it.
https://www.eightforums.com/bsod-crashes-debugging/22753-irql-not-less-equal-clock-watchdog-timeout.html

Was also ready that Watchdog error is hardware related.

notexactly

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016

That is what's confusing me.. It all worked perfectly so how could it be that something changed to Ram or whatever other component ? It is a pain.. especially because of the new year and everything. I will try with the memtest but i'm not sure if it's even gonna go through or it's gonna restart/shut down... Thanx again

notexactly

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016

I also thought that it might be the ssd. When i was in BIOS checking things i saw that ssd was "frozen" but after another restart it was ok. Last night i unplugged the ssd and only left the hard drive in and put in the bootable usb. After that the blue screen appeared like this one this one

corb345

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
Are you trying to make a RAID?
Just trying having one HDD plugged in and reinstalling the OS. But you said you tried that,
Make sure the RAM is seated properly. If you have 2 sticks of RAM try taking one out then trying it and then if that doesn't work replace that one and take out the other one.
Try switching out cables if you have extras

notexactly

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016

RAID was the idea but not now. I have 1 stick of RAM 8gb and I checked ram last night it was seated properly. I can put it in another slot maybe but that probably won't work. Which cables do you mean ?

corb345

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
Yea but maybe if the keyboard and or mouse your using now isn't plugged in it wont BSOD because your not needing the drivers, I dont know.. I just read that its worth a try. and try different ones if you can. Mkae sure if you have a printer connected to disconnect that also. Disconnect everything you don't need.
You put thermal past on the CPU? Make sure the hearsink and fan are seated right.
Man this frustrating and it isn't even my system.

notexactly

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016

I'm going mad here to be honest and it's really fing frustrating and thanx for your concern :)
Only mouse, keyboard and network are plugged in, i thought about the network last night and plugged it out but nothing changed. They're plugged in Usb 3.0 i will put them in usb 2.0 today, actually just the mouse and try going like that.
Of course i put thermal paste on the cpu and the heatsink and fan look good. If they werent seated right my temps would go much higher than 29C i suppose ?

corb345

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
Thats a great ideal putting the RAM in a different slot.
Like the cables to the hard drive because you don't know if any or bad or not. It happens.
Got an extra power supply, try changing that out.
You've got to try and narrow it down. What ever you can replace, replace. Gotta figure out which is causing the issue.
It could even be the mother board. Thats why I was asking if you could return it. It doesn't happen often but it does happen that you could get a faulty one or faulty any thing.

corb345

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
What about the USB flash drive your using to install Windows.
Can you download another ISO to a different USB flash drive. Maybe you the flash drive is faulty or the ISO download went bad and is missing some files.

Can you disconnect all hard drives and SSD and boot into BIOS?
If so then that helps narrow it down some.

notexactly

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016

I'm just shooting in the dark here but... When i'm in Bios for however long time the computer doesn't restart and it looks like everything's fine. I tried updating the bios but it says that it's the latest version. I also put the default settings for BIOS. If it's not restarting or shutting down while in bios would it be safe to say that hardware is ok ?

notexactly

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016

I will make 2 bootable usbs just to try them both. I will also try disconnecting both hd and ssd to try and boot it into bios without them. I'm at work now and not able to try anything but will try all of this tonight. Thanx again.

corb345

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
Ok that good news if you can get into BIOS and nothing shuts down. (Before or after you changed RAM slots or did you yet?)
Were the hard drives and SSD disconected? If so, I would think that would rule out the RAM as being faulty also, meaning the RAM should be good, power supply should be good.
It's gotta lay in the hard drive cables, hard drives SSD, or the USB flash drive, or the ISO flies.
Getting it narrowed down more bit by bit!

notexactly

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2016

Thanx a lot for helping, i really appreciate it.
I didn't change the ram slots, as i've told you, i'm at work now and the computer's at home so i'm not able to try anything now. I was able to go to bios all the time and it never shut down when i'm in bios. Hard drives and ssd were connected.

corb345

Reputable
Mar 8, 2016
Your welcome.
Well you don't need the hard drives to get into BIOS, but you do need RAM, so this for sure telling me that its gotta be the flash drive, or the ISO files or the hard drive cables or hard drives/SSD.
Can't image not all hard drives and SSD wouldn't work if their new, if their not new then yes I could see all of them not working, thats what made me think of a SATA hard drive cable being bad. Remember there are 2 different kinds, one for power and one for data. They're cheap, if you can stop by your local PC store or best buy and pick a couple of each up.
Heck if you got the cash pick up a new SSD, (or HDD) I prefer Samsung 850 EVO SSD, have always had good luck with them and they rate great. or for HDD a Western Digital Blue 7200RPM 64MB cache if you cant get it, or is your SSD new also? You said your HDD's are new right?
Try the hard drives one at a time with out any other one connected, if you haven't done that yet. Try a new flash drive and new ISO.