Computer Turns It Self Off/ Monitor Turns On And Off While Playing 'New' Games

plaushint

Commendable
Jun 9, 2018
Hello, I recently came across a problem I've never seen before. Long story short, I was playing Fortnite for around 6 hours (I left Fortnite on for around 4 hours). Around the 7th hour mark. my monitor turned itself off for a few seconds before turning itself on again. When it turned on, I got an unreal engine error. Decided to follow the instructions to fix it, such as upgrading my drivers, still crashes. Decide to play EVE instead, the same happened. Monitor turned itself off and on. The game didn't crash though but experienced severe graphical issues, like missing icons. Decide to put my hand near the cooler, it felt like my hand was over a fire. Decide to let my PC cooldown for a while. 3 hours later, EVE worked perfectly fine. Decide to experiment, left my pc on for 6 hours with eve running, PC didn't crash. Tried it with State of Decay 2, within 3-4 hours, PC crashed. Fortnite crashed in less than an hour. I've realized that this only happens on the newer title/graphically 'intense' games. The older games worked fine. Is this a temperature problem/ GPU problem?

Sorry for the long post and my poor ability to explain. I've just never come across such a problem before. Thanks, in advance

Edit: Now I can't even launch State Of Decay 2. My Monitor also likes to randomly turn itself on and off randomly, and that sometimes my PC will randomly shut itself off, but the RGB lighting still stays on. My PC also takes longer than usual to start up

SPECS from systemrequirementslab

Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-6800K CPU @ 3.40GHz
Manufacturer Intel
Speed 3.4 GHz
Number of Cores 6
CPU ID BFEBFBFF000406F1
Family 06
Model 4F
Stepping 1
Revision
Memory
RAM 16 GB
Video Card
Video Card NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080
Manufacturer
Chipset GeForce GTX 1080
Dedicated Memory 8.0 GB
Total Memory 15 GB
Pixel Shader Version 5.1
Vertex Shader Version 5.1
Hardware T & L Yes
Vendor ID 10DE
Device 1B80
Plug and Play ID VEN_10DE&DEV_1B80&SUBSYS_119E1028&REV_A1
Driver Version 24.21.13.9764
Operating System
Operating System Microsoft Windows 10 (build 17134), 64-bit
Service Pack 0
Size 64-bit
Edition NVIDIA
Version 10.0.17134
Locale 0409
BIOS
BIOS A08
Version Alienware A08
Manufacturer Alienware
Date
Sound
Audio 1
Sound Device NVIDIA High Definition Audio
Driver 1.3.36.6
Audio 2
Sound Device Yeti Stereo Microphone
Driver 10.0.17134.1
Audio 3
Sound Device Sound Blaster Recon3Di
Driver 6.0.101.1043
Audio 4
Sound Device Avnex Virtual Audio Device
Driver 7.0.0.0
Audio 5
Sound Device VB-Audio VoiceMeeter VAIO
Driver 1.0.3.5
Audio 6
Sound Device VB-Audio Virtual Cable
Driver 1.0.3.5
Audio 7
Sound Device VB-Audio Virtual Cable
Driver 1.0.3.5
Drives
DVD HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GS40N
CD HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GS40N
Drive 1
Size 1.8 TB
Free Memory 1.4 TB
Drive 2
Size 450.0 MB
Free Memory 44.4 MB
Software
Internet Explorer 11.48.17134.0
Chrome 66.0.3359.181
Firefox
Safari
Java 8.0.1510.12
Flash 18,0,0,203
DirectX 11.0
.NET 4.6.2

Solution
Possible it could be temps, could also be another component failure like memory, motherboard or power supply.

Temps are pretty simple, easiest way is to pop the lid and first inspect for dust accumulation and clean as necessary. If it's dirty shoot some air from a can or compressor (in short, controlled bursts to prevent fan overspin) to clean out the muck then retry. Same with PSU, carefully shoot some air in short bursts to clean and see if that's clogged.

If not so dirty, forcing air with a box fan (aka "lan party cooling mod") is a good way to force cooling if it's a temp problem. Could also be a fan failure or airflow problem if the box fan fixes the problem.

If that does not help, you are going to have to narrow down what...
Possible it could be temps, could also be another component failure like memory, motherboard or power supply.

Temps are pretty simple, easiest way is to pop the lid and first inspect for dust accumulation and clean as necessary. If it's dirty shoot some air from a can or compressor (in short, controlled bursts to prevent fan overspin) to clean out the muck then retry. Same with PSU, carefully shoot some air in short bursts to clean and see if that's clogged.

If not so dirty, forcing air with a box fan (aka "lan party cooling mod") is a good way to force cooling if it's a temp problem. Could also be a fan failure or airflow problem if the box fan fixes the problem.

If that does not help, you are going to have to narrow down what the problem is - so running individual tests like memtest for ram, prime95 for CPU, furmark for GPU, etc and seeing what gives are going to be crucial. Once you narrow down swapping out parts is the only solution so if you have other systems / parts laying around that's good - if not talk to friends / neighbors and see what is available, beer and pizza helps plenty :)

From personal experience, the powering off of the system under load sounds like the power supply itself that is causing the problem, could also be the motherboard. So if replacing the PSU does not do it the motherboard could be suspect.

Solution