Question Computer turns off after trying to post.

Enthuaist

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2015
I built a PC in late 2016. It worked find although I rarely used it. Havent touched it in a couple years until today.
I went to start it up and it shut off a few seconds later.

It starts all the fans and lights turn on. The CPU_LED lights up real quick, a couple seconds later the DRAM_LED flashes once, about 5 seconds later it turns back on for a second or two and goes off. Then the VGA_LED comes on for a few seconds and turns off. After that the BOOT_DEVICE_LED lights up for a few seconds, it turns off the CPU_LED lights up for just a split second and the computer turns off. Never has any noticeable video output. Green power LED on motherboard always stays on and I can restart the process by hitting the start button,

Ive tried swapping the memory to the other slots, and running each stick individually. Unplugging everything I could except what was required to run it (PSU, GPU no integrated graphics, memory) . Had another FX cpu laying around and swapped it in. Made a bootable USB and tried that. Reseated everything. Clearing CMOS everytime i made a change. Swapped power button to reset switch. No changed noticed. Tried different outlet, and verified video cable is good

Setup is
FX-8320 (tested later with an FX-43 something)
Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0
EVGA 500W PSU
Ballistic 8GB 1600 x2
WD Blue 1TB HDD

I need to do a little light video editing and wanted to see if this was up to the task. I understand its probably not, but I was hoping to get it going relatively quickly and cheaply then make the decision if I need to upgrade or if I can limp this along a while.

Im a little out of practice with the computer diagnosis so bear with me if I say something stupid or dont understand.

Lutfij

Titan
EVGA 500W PSU
EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 500W is the advertised wattage of the PSU. What is the model of the unit? It's 7 years old at this point? If so, have you tried sourcing(borrow, not buy) a PSU to power your platform to rule out the PSU to be the issue?

Enthuaist

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2015
EVGA 500W PSU
EVGA is the brand of the PSU while 500W is the advertised wattage of the PSU. What is the model of the unit? It's 7 years old at this point? If so, have you tried sourcing(borrow, not buy) a PSU to power your platform to rule out the PSU to be the issue?
I have not tried replacing with a known good one. Im not sure on the model. I can see if I can locate a good one to try