Question Computer turns off and on again when playing video games after installing new graphics card

May 18, 2019
I recently installed the MSI RTX 2080 VENTUS 8G graphics card but ever since I've installed it, the computer keeps shutting down and then turning back on again when I'm playing games. I never used to have this problem as I had a GTX 1070 before this. I've already deleted old drivers and installed the latest ones so could someone plz help?

My PC specs are:
Processor - Intel i5-4690K
Ram - 16GB 2400 MHz
Motherboard - Gigabyte Z97X-SLI
Power supply - Corsair CX750M 750W
Graphics card - MSI RTX 2080 VENTUS 8G

Power supply - Corsair CX750M 750W

How OLD is this PSU ? Have you also monitored the CPU and GPU TEMP value while gaming ? Any signs of overheating ? Do you have a spare PSU with you right now, so that you can check the new video card ? Or else, test the GPU on some other RIG/PC, IF possible.

Your issue seems like it might be related to the power supply unit, but I'm not fully sure.

May 18, 2019
How OLD is this PSU ? Have you also monitored the CPU and GPU TEMP value while gaming ? Any signs of overheating ? Do you have a spare PSU with you right now, so that you can check the new video card ? Or else, test the GPU on some other RIG/PC, IF possible.

Your issue seems like it might be related to the power supply unit, but I'm not fully sure.
The power supply is maybe 3-4 years old now, I'm not 100% sure. The temps of the CPU while gaming are around 55-70 degrees C, while the GPU is normally around 60- 78 Degrees C (with the games I've tested.) I don't have a spare PSU or a spare RIG atm, but I am planning on getting a PSU for another build. I hope this information helps

May 18, 2019
Do you do routine maintenance on your pc, like cleaning dust and all that out about every 2 months? A dusty psu is a dead psu....
Now that you say that, I haven't done any cleaning in a good couple months at least. I haven't checked the PSU, if the PSU is clogged up with dust is there anyway of fixing it after cleaning or is that it dead?

Now that you say that, I haven't done any cleaning in a good couple months at least. I haven't checked the PSU, if the PSU is clogged up with dust is there anyway of fixing it after cleaning or is that it dead?
It may just be needing cleaned. Dust can cause power loss and in turn pc crashing. If it's gotten to bad it may have caused scorching to wiring and boards. Which mess up the power supplie

May 18, 2019
It may just be needing cleaned. Dust can cause power loss and in turn pc crashing. If it's gotten to bad it may have caused scorching to wiring and boards. Which mess up the power supplie
Alright, well I'll check it and clean it out as soon as possible! Thank you for this information! I'll let you know the results as soon as clean it

When people say cleaning, you have to understand this is a PSU, if you take it to pieces, make sure it is 100% disconnected from the mains (not just switched off)
Before removing it, power up the PC to try and drain any power in the PSU, then dismantle the fan.
Unless you mean just sticking a vacuum cleaner on the fan... but anyway, still disconnect and discharge

Last edited: