Question Computer turns off and on repeatedly after removing and placing CPU back in?

Jan 29, 2020
Hey y'all, so a little while ago I ordered a new CPU. However I found out that my motherboard is too old for this brand new component.

I found out after I took my old CPU out and saw that the new one wouldn't fit it. Darn, okay, I'll have to order some new parts. I place the old one back in, strap the heatsink back on, and move my tower back upstairs.

Turned it on to see that my tower now goes into and off and on loop after I got it all set up. Only component I messed with was the CPU. My theory is maybe I smeared some thermal paste on the sides of it, but I don't know if that does anything. Any ideas? Anything would be appreciated.

After post edit: gotta get some rubbing alcohol and some q-tips to true cleaning off the thermal paste and reapplying some.

Jul 19, 2018
Hey y'all, so a little while ago I ordered a new CPU. However I found out that my motherboard is too old for this brand new component.

I found out after I took my old CPU out and saw that the new one wouldn't fit it. Darn, okay, I'll have to order some new parts. I place the old one back in, strap the heatsink back on, and move my tower back upstairs.

Turned it on to see that my tower now goes into and off and on loop after I got it all set up. Only component I messed with was the CPU. My theory is maybe I smeared some thermal paste on the sides of it, but I don't know if that does anything. Any ideas? Anything would be appreciated.

After post edit: gotta get some rubbing alcohol and some q-tips to true cleaning off the thermal paste and reapplying some.

Hi

There's a chance that you haven't reseated the CPU properly. On the CPU, there is an arrow in one corner which you will need to align with the motherboard socket. Can you try reinstalling the CPU?

Also, check your motherboard for bent pins if it's an Intel CPU

Jan 29, 2020
Hi

There's a chance that you haven't reseated the CPU properly. On the CPU, there is an arrow in one corner which you will need to align with the motherboard socket. Can you try reinstalling the CPU?

Also, check your motherboard for bent pins if it's an Intel CPU

Reinstalled the CPU, cleaned off all thermal paste, applied a small amount.

Same result.

As far as the CPU pins on the mobo, all looked fine to me.

Edit: went ahead and tested RAM, too. Same problem when switching out sticks and channels.

Could screwing on the heatsink too tightly cause an issue?

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS