Computer turns off somewhat randomly. PSU?

dmt257257

Prominent
Jul 11, 2018
Hi.

I have a desktop computer which will turn off completely now and again. Especially when it's running a bit hotter than usual( I can hear the fans ramp up). To turn on the computer again, I must press the power button on the tower.

Changing the computer power settings (windows 10) has all but eliminated the problem, but the computer doesn't run especially well.

Is this issue most likely the PSU? Could it be the CPU?

How might I diagnose?

The computer runs a 6 monitor array which is used for work and web browsing, YouTube etc. Nothing especially demanding. The PSU is rated sufficiently(going from memory here), but, it's a cheap one.

Thanks,
Dave

Solution
My mobo's bios has a setting that shuts the computer down if a certain temp is reached. Check there if you can, but sounds like big picture problem is poor thermals. What are your temps? If you don't know, you need to set up monitoring software like speedfan or something. Then, check online for what others say are "normal" temps for the same hardware as you.
My mobo's bios has a setting that shuts the computer down if a certain temp is reached. Check there if you can, but sounds like big picture problem is poor thermals. What are your temps? If you don't know, you need to set up monitoring software like speedfan or something. Then, check online for what others say are "normal" temps for the same hardware as you.

Solution