[SOLVED] Computer turns off

d1versify

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
While I am playing the computer shuts down, like it goes out of power. Then it won't turn on. Only after 2-3 minutes.. Should I get a new PSU ? I'm currently trying to just surf the internet to see if it shuts down as well

Solution
I have very little doubt that it is the power supply. That unit is about five years past it's warranty, and those green label CX units were lucky to even MAKE IT to the end of the warranty period in many cases.

Gaming is much different on power demands than browsing, so yes, that really doesn't mean much if browsing isn't causing it to shut down.
Hey there,

Typically random shut downs, but particularly at load, point to the PSU.

List your full PC specs, and we can advice of a new PSU to purchase. Be careful of your current system. The PSU seems to be failing. It might be a good idea not to use it very much, until you get the replacement. If the PSU goes whilst running, it has the potential to damage your PC hardware. Just keep that in mind.

What is the EXACT model of your current power supply AND how long has it been in service?

Have you done ANY thermal monitoring to eliminate the possibility that the system is shutting down due to an overheating condition?

What are the rest of your hardware specifications including your CPU and graphics card. Case model would probably be helpful as well.

d1versify

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
Hello guys and thanks for the replies. The temperatures are really good. I checked them. I have the Corsair CX600 for about 8 years.
The rest of the system is
Ryzen 2600x at default speed
MSI b450 Tomahawk
ZOTAC RTX 2060
G.Skill Ripjaws V 2x8gb 3200mhz
Samsung 860 EVO 250gb
Patriot Burst 500gb

Replace the power supply. I'm VERY surprised that power supply lasted two years, much less 8.

Did you add that RTX 2060 recently?

I have very little doubt that it is the power supply. That unit is about five years past it's warranty, and those green label CX units were lucky to even MAKE IT to the end of the warranty period in many cases.

Gaming is much different on power demands than browsing, so yes, that really doesn't mean much if browsing isn't causing it to shut down.

Reactions: d1versify
Solution

d1versify

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2012
Thank you guys I just ordered the Corsair RMX 650 since it was on stock. One last question
It says Corsair RMX ( 140mm) . What's that 140mm size? Will be it ok for my case? Deepcool Dukase v2 is the case

While I am playing the computer shuts down, like it goes out of power. Then it won't turn on. Only after 2-3 minutes.. Should I get a new PSU ? I'm currently trying to just surf the internet to see if it shuts down as well

Sounds like the PSU is overheating and shutting down if you have to wait to start up again.

Is the fan even working? On that old of a unit, with a sleeve bearing fan, I would be surprised if it still was.