Computer turns on 10-20 min after i hit power button

pinkpantherx

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the possible source of the problem.

When I hit the power button on my system it does nothing, then will turn on by itself after 10-20 min. All components function once it turns on.

System:
DFI LanParty UT nF4 Unltra-D Motherboard
Opteron 165 running @ 2.2gHz
nVidia GeForce 7900 GT
Antec TRUEPOWERII TPII-550 550W
2 Gig Patriot ram dont remember timings
Western Digital Caviar 500GB

10-20 MINUTES ?????!

I can only guess your power supply is taking that long to warm up and send a power ready signal. Either that or the motherboard, but I vote PSU.

Please define "does nothing" though. Do you mean that all the fans come on and you just don't see anything on the screen?

When it finally turns on, do you see a normal boot up? BIOS screens? Does it go through the standard POST process when it finally comes on?

pinkpantherx

Distinguished
Mar 14, 2006
Thanks for the reply.

When i said "do nothing" i meant that it sits as if i had not pressed the power button. No fans, no sounds, no HD movement, nothing.

When it finally does turn on it does boot normally, correct bios screens, etc. There is just a huge lag between when i press the button and when it finally boots.

My initial thought was that it was a Power Supply issues, but i wanted to see if anyone had ever even heard of this problem before i went out getting new hardware. I also dont want to spend the money right now.

Pretty sure (95%) it's your PSU, but there are a few things you could try just in case.

Try to boot with a screwdriver instead of the case power switch. Just remove the wires and short the two pins. That's a real stretch but rule out some bizarre case switch thing. I can vaguely picture something like that happening with a poorly designed case switch, although I would think you would notice it.

Take the computer to a part of your house on a different circuit and try it there. If your power source was that bad it likely would make the comp very unstable though.

Re-seat all the power connections in the computer. Perhaps some corrosion has caused an intermittent contact somewhere.