Question Computer turns on and doesn't POST/can't get into BIOS

l4ndm1n3

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
Hey guys, long time techy here (built my first pc in 05)...

I recently built this PC for my roomie; these were my old gaming parts.

Core:
Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 Processor 3.0 GHz 12 MB Cache Socket LGA775
ASUS P8Z77-V LE PLUS LGA 1155 Intel Z77 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM (x2)
KINGWIN Mach 1 ABT-800MA1S 800W ATX / BTX SLI Certified CrossFire Ready Modular Power Supply

EVGA GeForce GTX 980 Ti

The computer worked for a few hours; Installed windows, video drivers, chrome and all that and was downloading mechwarrior on steam. We came home to find that it had restarted and was resting at the BIOS with some error talking about the power supply and power. Can't remember exactly... we restarted it and it went back into windows and started downloading the game again.

Eventually it shut off and started this: Everything turns on, PSU, video cards, mother board (no LED errors)... It looks as if the PC is continually restarting because the GPU fan starts and stop over and over.

Admittedly, I had the volt switch on this KINGWIN 800 W PSU @ 230 instead of 115 for the entire duration of installing windows and drivers and game... I should have checked before screwing with the switch. However, both of the PSUs make hisses when on 115 instead of 230 which I though twas strange.

I have cleared CMOS many times and left it unplugged overnight, does the same thing.
Tried pluggin in a DVI/Display cable to the motherboard, monitor doesn't come on.
Tested the monitor, it works.
Tested another PSU, it does the same thing.
Tested the video card on my main rig, it works.
Took everything apart including PSU cables and re-seated them.
Tried different cables to each part of the PC.

Monitor says no signal and whole rig seems to have power. No beeps heard from the mobo when plugging in headphones

🤢

l4ndm1n3

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
Thanks for pointing out I posted the wrong CPU. This is the correct one:
Intel Core i5-3570K Quad-Core Processor 3.4 GHz 4 Core LGA 1155 - BX80637I53570K

The PC was running at 230 for the install and worked for hours until it eventually didn't work.

It now does the same thing no matter if it is on 115 or 230... doesn't change anything, the display doesn't come on yet everything on the PC is lighting up, and no motherboard lights are on except a green one.

l4ndm1n3

Honorable
Feb 19, 2014
I just wanted to post an update to this and seek more guidance.. I have never ran into a problem like this:

So I got another motherboard. All the rest of the parts are the same.
This is the new mobo
ASUS P8B75-M/CSM LGA 1155 Intel B75 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 Micro ATX Intel Motherboard (Certified Refurbished)

I made sure the voltage switch was on 115 on the PSU and this is the same error that happened previously, before the whole system stopped working... I believe it fried the motherboard.

I guess I have to just dump these PSUs?

I had used them previously without an issue, could the socket be a problem, or is there a way to throttle/stabilize the socket current?

View: https://imgur.com/a/JzQ9ZfJ

Last edited: