Computer turns on and immediately turns on again, not a new build.

Nov 16, 2018
Hi, i've been looking all over for an answer to this but so far i've had no luck.

Specs (i don't think i need to list the ram and gpu, as i know they are fine...):
Motherboard: MSI B150 Mortar
CPU: It's an i5, i really don't remember which one, sorry. I'm using the stock cooler.

I built my computer two years ago, and i was doing maintenance this saturday: I cleaned all the dust and reapplied thermal paste.

I didn't move anything, just removed the dust with antistatic towels (which i've used in the past to clean it) and compressed air for the hard to reach parts. The "biggest" thing i did was that i unplugged the power cables for the MB, the CPU and the GPU, and of course, taking off the heatsink, reapplying thermal paste and putting it on again.

I made sure that the heatsink was properly seated and the previous paste thoroughly removed, as i've had problems with the heatsink not being fully seated in the past.

So i went and plugged it in, turned it on and the EZ Debug LED of CPU flashed for like a second, then a long flash of the DRAM LED, in a cycle.
I turned it off, checked all the connections and reinstalled the heatsink.
I did that like three times, and i got the same LED pattern.

Took off the RAM and then put it on again in case i moved it and didn't realize. Still no luck.

Resetted the CMOS and it turned on, only to turn off after like a second, and kept doing that until i shut down the power switch.

All the fans were spinning, the lights turned on... I was reading that it might be a short somewhere, but i didn't move anything from the MB. I thought that maybe a bit of dust or something could be somehow causing a short but i checked and i didn't see anything wrong. The computer was working just fine that same day i did the maintenance, so i'm sure my components are fine. I didn't fry anything either because i kept touching the PSU as i was working with the components.

I really don't know what else to do, so i'd really like some help here, thanks!

Ralston18

Titan
Reference: "EZ Debug LED of CPU flashed for like a second, then a long flash of the DRAM LED, in a cycle."

Do you have the motherboard's User Manual? If not go online to MSI and find the manual.

There should be some explanation with respect to the EZ Debug LED pattern. May be a good lead for further inspection and troubleshooting.

Nov 16, 2018

I didn't find anything in the manual, the only thing it says about the LEDS is that when any of them is on, it means it didn't detect the component. Nothing about flashing patterns :(